Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Bones

Since my daughters internal clock is set to Barney time I've been up since the crack of dawn this morning. Barney comes on at 6 and that child wakes up every morning at 5:52 on the dot. Can someone explain to her what summer vacation means!

Yesterday was really wild. Bringing Alexis with us to therapy is NOT an ideal situation and it really doesn't help that she's not on her meds. REALLY! She was jumping on the furniture. She flat out told me NO when I told her to sit down. It was awful. Then the worst thing happened when we were fixing to leave. Jordan was sitting in a chair and Alexis was harassing her. Just getting in her face and talking really loudly and Jordan reached out to push her out of her face and Alexis moved. Jordan lost her balance and fell hard right on her nose. Her nose was bleeding and she was screaming and Alexis just laughed and laughed. I was so upset. Jordan is ok. Her nose is a bit bruised but she's doing well today. So I called the psychiatrist's office to tell them that she is acting bizarrely and HE'S NOT EVEN IN TOWN! AND HAS NO BACK UP DR. SET UP. Great. They told me to take her to the ER but the emergency room doesn't handle mental illnesses. Lovely! So we have to stick this out until the 2nd. OMG.

I've been doing some journalling lately. Not just the kind on LO's but writing in a journal. One of the journalling prompts got me thinking about one of the scariest things that happened to me as a child. I was convinced my parents killed someone.

I was around 8 or 9 years old when I went out to the shed to switch out laundry. My Mom said, "Don't look in that box in the shed." "The cardboard one by the door." "If you do you'll be punished." Well I was 8 years old and that was like engraving me an invitation that said LOOK INSIDE THE BOX! So I listened for the first few times I was out there but after a while the curiosity was killing me so I peeked and OMG there was a HUMAN SKULL in there! And other bones. HOLY CRAP. So here I am freaking out. OMG there's a dead persons bones in my shed. How did he get here? What happened? OMG OMG What if my parents killed him? And are hiding the body? I mean how else would they have bones in here? Should I call the cops? Oh my God!

That night I must've been the most well behaved child anyone's ever seen because I was terrified that they were killers! I just knew I was next! After all, I got fussed at alot and just KNEW I was a pain in the butt. I wondered how they were going to do it and decided I wasn't ready to die. I was too young. (Ok I was a bit of a drama queen.) To this day I remember how hard my heart raced and how scared I was. After about a week of being terrified I decided that if they hadn't killed me by then they must've wanted me around and I admitted that I looked in the box.

My Mom, an emergency technician (EMT) paramedic explained that the bones were for teaching purposes. She taught other people classes on how to be an EMT and do CPR and stuff like that. They had come from a body that someone had donated to science for that purpose. I don't think I was punished for disobeying. I think she thought me working myself up over it was punishment enough. The bones were moved after that. LOL

Isn't that a crazy memory!? I just had to write it down for my kids to have to know I didn't always listen as a child either. =0)

Hugs,
Heather

3 comments:

Jane said...

you poor thing!!! on two count...the doctors waiting room with a child bleeding at the nose and second, that memory of yours!! Oh my you must have been scared to death!!

Mindy said...

Oh my, I can'y imagine trying to do therapy with all that going on. How do you keep from pulling your hair out???
I would NEVER leave my house without a full thing of wipes, at least 3 diapers, and a change of clothes. But then again my DS has been on Miralax (stool softner) since he had a fissure a months ago. My Mom always makes fun of me because my bag weighs a ton. But, only 1 time did I need more than one change of clothes.
Bless you for all that you've gone through. I hope the 2nd comes soon for you. Mindy

Estee said...

I am sorry that you are having such a hard with Alexis. (((hugs))) I can't imagine. I have been thinking about you.
That is too funny about the bones, I would have done the same thing. My mom knew better than to tell me not to look at something, LOL!!