Monday, August 6, 2007

Hysterical

Friday afternoon something seemed to be in the air. After juggling three kids at the appointment for Jordan's braces to be repaired so they would stop rubbing on her feet, we came home and Jordan laid down for her nap. Jordan is the type of child that has to wake up entirely on her own or her whole day is ruined. Well, Alexis was in one of her cranky moods and kept yelling and acting up. Brandon was trying to go to sleep but he couldn't because of the noise so he got super cranky. I'm trying to soothe him and get Alexis quiet when she yells and wakes Jordan up. She starts screaming! She startles so easily. So she was scared and tired and just beyond all reason. So now all three of them are screaming. There are 30 minutes left until Ronnie gets home and I don't think I'm going to make it. I put Alexis in time out and hold Jordan and Brandon and we are all sitting on the floor in the living room. I start rocking the smaller two and singing to them and I all the sudden burst into tears. So now everyone's crying. Alexis is having a huge tantrum... Nobody loves her.... Everyone hates her! Jordan is crying... She's tired... She wants her daddy... Brandon is crying.... He's exhausted... and I who hardly ever cry can not take any more. It's about 5 minutes before Ronnie would get home and all of the sudden I get this mental image of him walking in and we are all on the floor crying. This strikes me as hilarious and all of the sudden I'm dying laughing and still crying at the same time. OMG this motherhood stuff gets really interesting. I managed barely to pull myself together before Ronnie walked in the door. I knew he could tell that I'd been crying but I didn't feel like explaining. I was just so OVERWHELMED. Later that night Brandon and I escaped to Walmart. We went grocery shopping. I got back at 9PM. We shopped really slow. Who knew Walmart could be a vacation! I always thought people who hysterically cried were wimps. Well. I know better now. LOL Or maybe I'm a wimp?! Who knows.

Saturday I spent most of the day reading the new Harry Potter book. I had decided that I deserved a break. I left the laundry undone. Didn't do dishes. Barely cooked. Until I had the whole book read. OH MY GOODNESS. I'm not going to go into detail for anyone who hasn't read it but OMG it was awesome! Seriously. I'm such a dork!

Sunday I spent the whole day paying for not doing housework the day before. Ick. I had tons of laundry and everything else to do but it was so worth it. I needed a day of down time. Today is Monday. Therapy day. One of the therapies cancelled but I still have two to go to for Jordan. I'm going to drop off some books we rented at the library. I'm not crazy enough to go in. We'll do a driveby and I'll throw them in the book depository. I'm not a glutton for punishment you know!

The fabulous journalling question of the day: What is the most important lesson you've learned that you would like to share with others.

Most probably that would be 'don't sweat the small stuff". Don't obsess over every little minor upset in life. Ask yourself "Is this problem I'm having today going to matter to me tomorrow, a week from now, a month from now?" It really helps put things into perspective for me. Something that might be bugging me horribly today won't even matter to me next week and isn't as huge of a deal that I feel it is at the time! Learning this lesson has helped me to sit back and enjoy the ride. Sure it's a wild ride but it's also fun! And just look at the memories I'm leaving my kids (besides the one of us all crying on the floor LOL)

Hugs,
Heather

8 comments:

Adriann said...

Oh sweet Heather! I've had those moments and I only have one child. So I can only imagine what it must be like with 3!

William can be quite a handful at times. I remember one time he just refused to listen to me and I had had enough and just started bawling and he stopped what he was doing and came over to me. He asked me what was wrong and I just started crying even harder. Picture me on the floor crying and my three year old son trying to console me. I finally got it together and explained to him that sometimes mama's get sad and just have to cry. He somehow sensed that he was the cause of my tears and was on his best behavior for the day. Needless to say he was back to his stubborn, hyper self the next day. At least you have the right attitude about it.

Now, instead of crying, I'll start praying and asking God to give me patience and grace. Oftentimes, I'll pray out loud and William will straighten up real quick, because he thinks I have direct link to God. LOL!!! Anyway, I'm continuing to lift you and your family up in prayer.

Enjoy your week!!!

Blessings!

Leah & Terry said...

Don't you hate it when you decide you need a break and then have to spend days paying for it?? I always wonder what's wrong with the kids and the husband. LOL. Glad you enjoyed the Harry Potter book!!

Martha said...

OMG Heather, you definately are a strong woman. I would totally go nuts in your shoes. Well I have. Thank God so much for Lexapro!! Without it I am such a B****. Just ask my family. Me and stress don't go well together. I give you 100% credit for being super mom and doing all that you do for those kids. I hope your day at therapy goes well.

Hugs,
Martha

Lisa said...

oh yeah! heather you know i have some serious days with my kids. I havent had my breakdown yet! Give me time lol! but, i understand where you come from and how things can really get to u. Mothers are so under rated, we dont get the kudos that we should. Men think it is so simple, if they only knew. ttyl darling!

Mindy said...

Congrats on getting to finish the Harry Potter book. It was awesome!!! My Hubby is killing me because he hasn't had time to read it yet and I have and I CAN"T talk to him about it yet. I'm pretty sure he's doing it on purpose now. He wants to see how long I can go w/out talking about. He wants my head to pop off, I know he does.

I'm the opposite about Walmart. My Hubby thinks that the time I go to Walmart by myself, which is next to never. That it is my "me time" I have to explain to him that gorcery shopping at Walmart is NOT "me time". UUGGHHHH And if it is I'm stopping at about 10 others stores on the way to Walmart. And I am going WAY more often!! hehe

Bless you girl for getting it all out. I haven't had my breack down yet, but it's coming and I'll PROBABLY be sitting on the floor in the middle of Walmart rocking back and forth crying about my "me time".

Estee said...

(((hugs))) to you my friend!! I have been in your shoes, where you are just trying so hard to pull it together before dh gets home. Ugh. I hope that you are doing well and that you had a good day today. I herded everyone into the car and forced them to go on a long drive with me so I could get out of the house. Luckily, everyone fell asleep and I could enjoy my chai latte in peace!! :) (((hugs)))

An Inspired Mom said...

Heather, Thank you for giving me your blog to catch up on you. Sorry its taken me a bit to get back, I am moving so things are hectic.

I feel you and I only have one kid. His 3 yr old tantrums in the stores or restaurants really get to me.

I cannot imagine having 3 kids right now, your so normal in your feelings.

We all feel overwelmed at times. HUGS!

Blessings Renee

*reyanna* said...

Bless your heart!!! HUGS for you coming all the way from Rhode Island. Hope you're doing much better this week. :D