Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Scrappy Tutorial {Altering Brads}

Have you ever bought brads that you thought were cute at the time, only to come home and find out that they didn't match anything, or were a funky color up close? Well here are two solutions I've come up with for altering brads.

I've made my own sugared brads here by diluting some Elmer's Craft Bond Memory Book glue with water, and then dipping them in very fine crystal glitter. I let them dry, and it toned down the color of the brads. It also will help add a bit of bling to your project, and honestly who doesn't like bling?! Quick and simple. =0) Remember to only use a thin layer of glue. If you want a thicker coat of glitter you can wait until the first layer completely dries, and repeat the process. After they dry you can lightly dust the excess glitter off with a soft paint brush. Here's the before and after photo.



The second technique involves embossing the brads. I used tweezers to hold my brad and very carefully heated the head of the brad with my heat gun. It's important to make sure you get the sides heated as well. Then I quickly dipped the brad into the color of embossing powder I wanted to use. After that I reheated the brad again until the embossing powder melted and smoothed out over the head of the brad. Like the first process, if you'd like a thicker coat or the embossing powder didn't completely cover the head of the brad, repeat the process. It's very forgiving. Please be careful handling the hot brads with the tweezers {or you'll burn yourself like I did LOL} Here's your before and after photo. You won't see any of the orange once you put them through paper. I can't wait to use them on a project.



Thank you for stopping by to check out my tutorial! I'd love to hear what you thought about it, or if you have an idea or request for a future tutorial I'd love to hear it.

Heather Landry
Miracle's Momma Designs

7 comments:

Lynn/annasmom said...

Why can't I ever think of genius stuff like that? Great ideas. Really love the embossed ones.
Had a great time feeding the fish too!

Dawn said...

Wayyyy cool :) I looove the "sugar coated" especially!

Oh yah... the fish are a blast! lol

Cheryl Wray said...

What GREAT ideas!!!! Thanks for the tips!!

Anonymous said...

Looooove the embossed brads! TFS!

Nnairda's said...

Great idea! I love the sugared brads best!

Leah said...

What a cool tut!!! Love the embossed brads!!!

Jessica's mom said...

LOL, DH was walking by looking at the screen and had no idea what I was looking at. Silly Man.

Those are great ideas! I have different colors right now and do the best I can to match them when I need them, but your ideas are much more personalized.

Hope you're enjoying Summer!