Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tissue Paper (Eric Carle) Tutorial

My kids get a cool kid's magazine in the mail every month. One of the past magazines had instructions on how to make a collage to look like the beautiful illustrations in Eric Carle books. (The Very Hungry Caterpillar etc.) Since my kids LOVE the Eric Carle books... we thought we'd try it. I of course adapted mine to be more scrapbook themed. I ended up making a card with my pieces. Here is a photo of the finished card. (It's still a little wet in the photo.) I'm posting a tutorial in case you'd like to make your own.



1. Gather your materials: White poster board, white tissue paper, acrylic paints, paintbrushes, newspaper, white glue or modge podge, plus some odds and ends for decorating.

2. This will make a mess! Spread out several sheets of newspaper on your work area.

3. Paint each piece of tissue paper using a different color. You can't use colored tissue paper because the dye will bleed. Also, don't paint too heavily. It's better if the brush strokes show up. =0)

4. Lift your painted tissue paper off of the piece of newspaper you painted it on and put it on a new dry sheet of newspaper. This keeps it from sticking when it dries.

5. When your tissue paper is dry, use extra brushes and add layers by dry brushing, or flicking paint on. You could also use a comb to comb on colors. Layers are your friend. =0) For my flowers. I used two colors of acrylic paint, pink and red, and then went over it all with shimmery pint chalk. For the leaves and stems... it's green acrylic paint, black acrylic paint, and shimmery green chalk. Play and have fun! Let your sheets dry completely.

6. Find something to use as a template and trace a shape on your dried tissue paper. Or you could just cut or tear out random pieces. I chose to trace a Queen and Co. plastic flower. I drew the stems and leaves directly on the tissue paper with a pencil (lightly) and then cut them out.

7. Glue your shapes down onto your white poster board or cardstock with Elmer's glue or modge podge. I used a sponge applicator to make sure I got an even coat. Keep in mind if you have a light color like pink over a dark color like green, the green will show through the pink to an extent.

8. Let your project dry completely before handling. If the cardstock or poster board is wavy from the glue, you can lay it flat on a table, cover it with waxed paper, and set a heavy book on it overnight. It should flatten.

9. Embellish as desired. I chose to add buttons, and a title to my card. It'll be going to my Mom for her birthday. You could also add additional details with pens, markers or crayons.

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. Let me know if you have more questions, or suggestions for a future tutorial.

Hugs,
Heather Landry
Miracle's Momma Designs

3 comments:

Joy said...

The card is so cute.
I've taught summer classes for kids on Eric Carles illustrations. Did you use modge podge or elmers? Gluien is always the hardest part for the kids.

Heather said...

I used modge podge, but if I had it to do again... I'd probably try Elmers. The modge podge is taking a good while to dry. LOL

Leah said...

It's a cute card!!! I love checking out your tuts. You inspire me to maybe paper scrap again. LOL. Still wish you would cross back over to the dark side from time to time... it's lonely over here. He,he.