Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Amazing Feats of Vocabulary Girl

When listening to Jordan these days, it's mighty hard to remember that the doctors told us she would probably never even say Momma due to her brain damage. That child has proved every single doctor wrong. She's a walking, talking miracle. One of the things I find most amazing about Jordan is her incredible vocabulary.

From the time she came home, we used sign language to communicate with her, just because I had heard that it was beneficial to her developing brain, and on the off chance that she really wouldn't be able to talk like the doctors believed. She took to sign language immediately and one of her first signs was "Thank You" at 6 months. She then began to add other words: please, no, stop, eat, drink, cup, help, ball, play, and yes. To our great delight she was babbling at this time as well, she started saying Dada and Mama. I remember crying when she said Mama for the first time. I can still remember the tone of her little nasal voice. I'll never forget that.

Once she started talking, she never stopped. Her vocabulary exploded! One of her favorite words was "baby", and for the longest time that's what she called herself. That was my fault because I would hold her up to the mirror and say, "Look at the baby in the mirror". So she thought her name was Baby... and for the longest time when I'd tell her that her name was Jordan she'd say NO! Baby! LOL

At 1 year old she said her first sentence. It was "Lady's by me." She was sitting in her high chair looking down at the dog begging for food. I was amazed how many new words she learned everyday. She would hold something up and look at me, waiting patiently for me to name the object. I have to admit I talked to her a lot. She was my first baby, and I would narrate her day for her. I had heard that would help her talk as well. I'd tell her, "First, we'll change your diaper, then we'll put your pants on..." All day long.

She started singing songs around age one as well. Her first song was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, which sounded more like "Tinkle, Tinkle, Little Tar". She loved music, and would always stop whatever she was doing to listen if I put music on. She could recognize all of the letters in the alphabet as well.

Now that she is four years old, she still amazes me. She's learned most of the letter sounds using flash cards. She uses words like chic, and cacophony. She tells me she can not talk to me because she is engrossed in her video game. She uses enormous words, that sound so cute and precious coming out in her little voice. She completely amazes me. We are so blessed to have her in our lives. She's such a smart cookie!

Hugs,

Heather

P.S. This was another Jessica Sprague class assignment.

4 comments:

Leah. said...

What an amazing story!

Engrossed in her video game? Wow, she is a smart cookie!

WeeHands said...

Oh, I love the name "Vocabulary Girl"! I can just picture her! Thank you so much for posting on the wonderful benefits of signing with young children...signing with your child truly is a wonderful thing to do!

Jessica's mom said...

You have done such wonderful things taking care of and raising your little girl. I know she's amazing as well, it helps that she was special to start with. :) Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl Wray said...

That is amazing!! I know that you all are so proud of her!!!