Monday, November 17, 2008

The Cabbage Patch Doll

I do not remember ever thinking we were poor when I was a child. It wasn't until much later in life that I realized that living in a trailer was not the "normal" standard of life. I remember one Christmas I asked for a Cabbage Patch Doll. When they first came out in the eighties, they were very popular, and quite expensive even by today's standards. At almost thirty dollars, they were not in our price range, but I didn't know it. I asked Santa to bring me a Cabbage Patch doll.

My Mom told me the story about she prayed to find a way to get me that Cabbage Patch doll. It just so happened that Coca-Cola had partnered with the Cabbage Patch company to do a promotion, and my Mom opened a Coke with a cap that entitled her to a free Cabbage Patch doll. The only catch was that my Step-Dad had to go to New Orleans, which is about an hour away from Port Sulphur, to pick it up.

My Step-Father never did much for me, and I'm not sure if it was at my Mom's insistence, but he did go to New Orleans and waited for hours to get the doll. He told my Mom that there were at least a hundred people in line. He was one of the last people to get a doll. They ended up running out somewhere after him. They didn't even have enough for all of the people who won the contest.

I remember opening that doll, and I remember toting her around for years and years. I can not remember what happened to her. If I grew up, and she was given away, or if she got damaged, and was thrown away. I do remember the story behind how I came to get her. Another small instance of God answering prayers, whether they be as big as a mountain, or as small as a tiny blonde haired Cabbage Patch Doll.

Hugs,

Heather

P.S. I'm doing a Jessica Sprague class called Stories in Hand telling stories of my past for future scrapbooking material! =0)

4 comments:

Leah. said...

LOVE the writing Heather!!!!
This is an awesome story for the Sprague Class!!

TheresaK said...

Such heartfelt journaling. So glad you got your cabbage patch doll!

Vera said...

I never got a cabbage patch doll, but I do remember getting a shirt or two. They really were quite expensive.

I signed up for Stories in Hand too, but these days I'm really just soo drained I haven't been working on the class. I'm glad it's all going to be there forever :)

Jessica's mom said...

I too have a Cabbage Patch story. My uncle was in a corner store type of place, and they were delivering a truck load of them. Women were fighting in the isles it was complete madness. My calmly walked up to the truck and got the first one out. Everyone assumed he was doing something else because he was a man so they didn't even challenge him.

I also had a homemade one, but that is a story for another day. Mine dolls also went the way of all well loved toys never to be seen or heard from again.