Friday, January 9, 2009

POTD 1-9-09/Photo Challenge/Questions Session 8

This photo is for my POTD and for the Photo Challenge Blog. My New Years resolution this year is to read one hundred books. So far I am on book six. I only read ninety-seven last year, so this year, I am hoping to meet my goal! This photo is for the photo challenge. I stacked the books on top of my shelf, sat on the floor, and angled the camera up to get a more interesting perspective.



I also have questions today!

Question 1: What is one of the hardest things you have ever had to do in your life?

One of the hardest things I have ever had to do was turn Jordan over to her biological family after she had been placed as a foster child in our home for three months. After she was placed with us OCS started evaluating biological family members, and they came across a paternal Aunt who "wanted to give it a shot". The next week was terrible. They came to our home to train with all of the medical equipment. Jordan was on constant oxygen, and an apnea monitor to alert us when she stopped breathing or her heart rate slowed too much. When they came to do the training they were more interested in playing with her than learning about the machines. I noticed that they were not paying much attention, and so I told them several times that once they brought her home, if they had any questions about the equipment that they could call me anytime.

The inevitable day came when the social worker and I drove Jordan out to their home. I had packed up all of her little clothes, and the toys we bought her. She looked so overwhelmed. She was six months old, and still so fragile. We brought all of the stuff into the house, and I helped them connect all of the machines, and then I kissed her goodbye. I remember her staring at me because she did not understand why I was leaving. I left her favorite Dr. Seuss book with them. Handing that book over made it so much more real, and I started crying, and had to walk out. I cried all the way home.

Her family called me later that evening to ask me why her machine was beeping. It meant that she was not breathing. They needed to stimulate her and then call an ambulance if she did not respond. It terrified me, I knew then that I was right, and that they had not listened at all to the training. They called again the next day and told me that she was fine, but they took her off her vitamins and started giving her orange juice to relieve her constipation. She desperately needed her vitamins because she had failure to thrive and did not eat much. I cried so much during this time. The house felt hollow. I had gotten used to hearing the whoosh of her oxygen machine, and her little cries.

After the longest ten days of my life, her family called me demanding that I come get her. They told me she cried all of the time, and they could not handle her medical needs. (After lying to me previously and saying she never cried and did not appear to miss me.) One of the happiest days in my life was the day we went to pick her back up. She had pneumonia from lack of care, and we drove her to the hospital and she was hospitalized that evening for a week, but she got better, and we got our happy ending two years later when we adopted her on April 13, 2006.


Question 2: What is your favorite book? Why is it your favorite book?


As of this morning I have a new favorite book. You can read the post below to see what it is and why.

Thanks for stopping by,
Have a beautiful day!
Heather

7 comments:

Leah. said...

That is the most horrible story ever with such a sweet ending! You are a good mommy you know that?

I love ya to death!

Okay, i don't have a story that even compares to that so I'm opting out of that question. LOL!

Favourite book? East of Eden always come to mind. You know when you close it, your a little sad it's done? That's how I feel about that book.

I love your photo challenge photo. You must be enjoying that Twilight series!

Elizabeth A. said...

I like the view of your POTD also. It's like you're looking up at your 100 book challenge. Perhaps you might take a photo looking DOWN at them when you're done. :)

Now you had my eyes tearing up over hardest day! It's so good all that is in the past now.

Helen said...

Great photo Heather....love it in b/w and your perspective is wonderful! Great job! Good luck too! I wish I could read 100 books!

Agnes said...

Same here, I got tears in my eyes. Don't even know what to say...

97 books last year? Wow, Heather, that's so amazing!

I too love the photo, great job!

Nnairda's said...

Wow! No wonder you are such a dedicated mama. That would be hard for someone to do, but everything work out for the good in the end. That's how God works. Our ways are not His...

Love the angle at which you shot the books. Good luck to getting your read on!

Bragging on myself now. I took an awesome shot of the moon tonight. My best one yet.

Adriann

Nnairda's said...

Hope you get some sleep soon. My Dr. said I can take Benadryl. So I should get a restful sleep tonight. :)

Leah. said...

Hey girly it's Saturday! I'm looking for an inspiring 365 photo!!! LOL