Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sadness

I got the news today that my best friend's father has passed away. The world has lost one of the most wonderful human beings I have ever known. He was a strong, intelligent man who served his country proudly in the military. He was funny and loved to tease people out of being upset and unhappy. He was there for my best friend when things didn't go the way they should have in life. He was there to listen to my problems and troubles. He gave really great advice, even if I didn't realize it at the time. He treated his grandchildren wonderfully. Seeing him interact with them melted my heart. He even gave me a home and fed me when I needed it. He called me his illegitimate daughter (the one he never talked about), and he made me feel like I belonged. He never hung up the phone without telling me that he loved me. I can not say enough wonderful things about him. He was only fifty-nine, but in those fifty-nine years he gave us all more than we could have wished for. Rest in peace Ralph. I love you too.

9 comments:

Agnes said...

What a wonderful person. So sorry, Heather.

babyyahyah said...

so sorry. I lost my father 2 months ago.

AMKrogsgaard said...

Heather, I am so sorry. The world needs more people like him. I guess heaven had a special need for him, too!

Katherine said...

I'm so sorry. It sounds like he was a wonderful man. What a tragedy taht he died so young :(

Amelia said...

condolences Heather...what a sweet thing to remember how a man has been to you...so sorry about this

Leah. said...

Sounds like a most amazing person.
It's so sad to lose them. I feel for you and I'm thinking of you :)

Summer said...

You almost made me cry Heather. I'm sure he's with God now. You are still lucky for having him such a long time, may he rest in peace. My condolences to you and his family.

Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry to hear of your pain. What would he say now that you're sad? Perhaps he'd make fun of your runny nose? Either way, it is wonderful he gave his love so freely and openly to you. Cherish that.

jacqueline said...

this is really late now, but still want to send you my condolences...

so sorry, Heather.