Friday, February 12, 2010

A Profound Sadness

This past week has been full of ups and downs. I’m just going to start with Sunday, and make my way through the week.

Of course, on Sunday the Saints won the Superbowl! I’m not usually that into football. I only watch Saints games and none of the other games. I’ve been a Saints fan for a looooong time. I’m so glad they got to the Superbowl, and won it! Those boys sure worked hard, and I know the entire state is just so proud of them. My personal favorite part of the game wasn’t an actual play. It was when Drew Brees was holding his son after the game and tearing up. That was just so sweet! Everyone in our neighborhood went insane. They set of fireworks and played music whenever the Saints scored. When they won, everyone ran outside screaming. My kids slept through all of it. Thank goodness!

I tried to send Jordan to school to work on Monday based on the doctor’s suggestion. She said that since she didn’t have fever anymore, she wasn’t contagious and she should be in school. So I sent her, and I brought Alexis to her dental checkup. Alexis’ teeth were fine. The dentist wants to put sealant on her molars to prevent cavities. I’m all for no cavities, so we are going back next month to get that done. When I brought Alexis to school I asked them to call  back and make sure Jordan was doing well. I just had one of those Mom feelings. She was still feeling bad. I had to bring her home. The antibiotics were kicking in, but they were sure taking their sweet time doing it!

I kept her home from school on Tuesday as well. It was a pretty uneventful day except that I got an email with this photo from my grandmother.IMG_2446

One of her goats had TWO babies. And they are Black and Gold! Saints themed goats? It seemed meant to be. So Jordan had to name them with Saints related names. The gold one is named “Brees”, and the black one is named “Who dat!” My grandma now has seven goats. Jordan asked me yesterday if Maw Maw owns a zoo. Almost.

Jordan was well enough to go back to school on Wednesday. She had been out of school for a week and a half. Thankfully we were able to get her work sent home so she wasn’t too far behind on anything. My mother in law came up to watch Brandon because the first day back was a field trip for Jordan. She went to the Young Chef’s Academy. She had a really great time! Ignore the goofy grin on my face please. We made pizza and king cake. The king cake was made out of cinnamon rolls which was a bit weird, but the kids thought it was really cool. I guess that’s all that matters right?

DSC00550

Later on that night, I sat at the table and helped the girls write out their Valentines. I loved how carefully Alexis chose which Valentine to give to her classmates.

DSC00593

Jordan got about halfway through her Valentines. Then she got tired of it. I insisted she at least sign her name to each Valentine. While we were sitting there, she looked up at me and said, “Mom, You know what?” “If you go to sleep at Walmart the baskets will run over you and you'll die.” “That's why we sleep at home.” I am still trying to figure out where she came up with that! Silly girl.

The rest of our week has been full of sadness. I found out on Thursday that my Uncle David passed away from a heart attack. He was relatively young, and so it was a shock to our family. He was SUCH a vibrant personality. The kind of man who would do anything to help, even if it meant giving the shirt off of his own back. He had a wonderful sense of humor, and he always made me laugh even when he was picking on me. He left behind three teenaged children, and an extended family that will deeply mourn and miss him. I am so very glad that we got to see him this past Thanksgiving. I will forever treasure the photos I took of him then. Rest in peace Uncle David. We’ll meet again. I love you.

DSC00116

Today, the kids were off of school due to inclement weather. They have managed to keep me busy. The weathermen have been predicting snow for two days now. Finally, to the kids great delight, it snowed. I snapped a few photos of them playing. This is the second time this Winter that it’s snowed in Louisiana. Global warming my behind!

DSC00682

DSC00652

I’m not going to post the journaling questions this week, because I’m not really feeling up to it. Instead I’ll assign you a task. Please hug your babies, and call someone in your family. Let them know how much they mean to you today in case tomorrow never comes.

Thanks for stopping by…

9 comments:

Agnes said...

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family, Heather.

Jane said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle Heather!!! wow..you just never know do we? So sad...hugs and prayers to you all!!!

I do love the photos though and glad you all enjoyed the snowfall!!!

kim said...

so sorry about your loss.

black and gold? hey thats the steelers not the saints! ok ok I will give you my team sucked this year and the saints were pretty awesome.

king cake! I have heard/tasted of that.

Michelle said...

You know that I am here for you as well as I can be from this far away!! Thinking of you and your family during such difficult time. I am glad you are enjoying the snow because I am tired of it!! LOL

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

So sorry for your loss. Glad that Jordan is feeling better...love the goofy grin! lol.....Snow? Gotta love global warming. And I can't even begin to imagine a king cake made of cinnamon rolls, but.....

Elizabeth said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle. you hug your kids too. Glad to hear J is doing a bit better.

Leah. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle Heather! You can just tell from his photo that he was a kind, sweet man.

I will give my family extra hugs today.

April said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle David. Sending my condolences to you and to his family. Hope everything is doing fine with you guys. Have A GREAT DAY.

Stories from a Teenage Mom
Mom on the Run

Solo said...

I know that you uncle David is happy whenever he is now. Wish you all the best.

Solo
Travel and Living
Job Hunter