Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Recipe of Love

I was so tickled when Julie asked me to contribute to her recipe blog. After I finished freaking out, and wondering what to cook, this is what I came up with. I was born in Southern Louisiana, and I have loved Cajun cooking all my life. When I say I love Cajun cooking, I mean I love eating it. I’m not the biggest fan of cooking, but when I do it… I go all in! Cajun recipes are what I do best. (I’m not too good at making “meat love”, so I’ll have to try Julie’s recipe one of these days.) I’m a mean Mom of three, and I make all of them eat their vegetables. What they don’t know, won’t hurt them. The blender is my best friend!

This recipe is the reason my husband loves me. (Well, one of the reasons!) Here’s what you will need…

Photo1

Shrimp Creole

Serves 4 to 6

1 lb. fresh or frozen raw peeled Louisiana gulf shrimp (No Japanese flash frozen shrimp people!)

1 large onion, chopped

1/2 bell pepper, chopped (Save the other half to blend and hide in your spaghetti!)

2 cloves garlic, chopped (Not little cloves, BIG cloves. Really big!)

1 stick of butter (This is not negotiable. Do not use margarine in my Shrimp Creole!)

1 green onion, chopped

1 stick celery, chopped

1 can tomato paste (A small one. We’re going for flavor, not ketchup!)

1/4 tsp. thyme

1/4 tsp. basil

2 bay leaves

Cajun Seasoning (Zatarains, Tony Chachere's etc.)

Rice

2 cups of water

1. Put your green onion, celery, garlic, onion, bell pepper, and butter in a big pot. Sauté until the onion is transparent and the other vegetables are soft. This should take about fifteen minutes.

Photo 2

2. Meanwhile, Put your shrimp in a bowl and generously season them with the Cajun seasoning. Want to know what generous looks like? I knew you would!

Photo 3 

2. Add shrimp, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaves, basil, and two cups of water. Stir well so the tomato paste is distributed. Continue to cook on low-medium heat for an additional 30 minutes. (You’ll want to start your rice at this time.)

Photo 3

3. Stir occasionally to be sure the mixture doesn’t stick. It will begin to thicken before the 30 minutes is up. If it seems too thick, add a little more water. Pick out your bay leaves, then serve hot over rice, and this is what you end up with!

Photo 5

There you have it! The recipe of LOVE. It’s not as spicy as it looks. So long as you don’t go too overboard with the Cajun seasoning. There is no added salt in this recipe. The shrimp and the tomato sauce make it salty enough and the dish relies heavily on vegetables (and butter!) for flavor.

7 comments:

Lydia Siegel said...

Heather you just made me HUNGRY!! So going to have to try this out!

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

sounds delish, gonna give it a try.

Solo said...

Goodness! I'm drooling now. I need to look a food for me. ;D

Solo
Travel and Living
Job Hunter

Leah. said...

Okay, so I'm not a huge seafood fan, could I make it with chicken too? It looks delicious!

Elizabeth said...

To much Cajun spice are you kidding me? I'm the nut who goes into a resturant and asks for extra spice on the side and then uses it! Of course all resturants think we have to have bland diet.

Lovin' the no added salt too!

Nichole said...

so, i am making this as i type for myself and a girlfriend!!! wooohooo!

don't suppose you have an awesome spicy recipe for jambalaya?????
thanks for dinner!!

The Scrappy Tree said...

I need to bookmark this one!