Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Red Beans and Rice (Crockpot Version)

I had a friend ask me for a good (simple) red beans recipe. All of my kids eat red beans which is nearly a miracle considering that none of my kids like the same things. Red beans are cheap, and they make enough for leftovers. Always a good thing at my house!

You will need:

1 lb. Red Beans

3 cloves Garlic

1 Whole Onion

1/2 Green Bell Pepper

1 tbsp. Cajun or Creole Seasoning (Zatarains or Tony Chachere’s)

2 Bay Leaves

Salt and Pepper

2 Chicken Bullion Cubes

1 lb. Sausage Sliced

Water

Cooked Rice

 

1. The night before you want to cook your beans, put them in a big bowl with hot water and let them soak overnight. This makes them softer and they cook better.

2. The next morning, (I usually start them at 8:30 after the kids get on the bus.) I cut up 1 whole onion, 1/2 of a green bell pepper, and 3 cloves of garlic. Throw that in the crock pot.

3. Drain the beans and rinse them in a colander and throw them in the crock pot on top of the veggies.

4. After that I add water to cover the beans by about an inch. Turn the crock pot on high. Then add two bay leaves, two chicken bullion cubes, and about a tbsp. of Cajun seasoning. (Zatarains or Tony Chachere's) Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Around lunch time cut up a lb. of sausage and throw it in the crock pot. (Don’t add the sausage too early or it falls apart and gets mushy. Yuck!) Stir it to mix, and check the water level. Some people like thicker beans, and some thinner. Add water if the beans are too thick. Turn the heat down to low.

6. The beans will be ready to eat around 5:00PM! Serve over rice with cornbread or French bread on the side.

Here’s what you end up with… a plate of red beans good enough to make you slap yo’ Momma!

DSC01012

3 comments:

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

Yummy!!!! I want some!

Agnes said...

I am gonna try this -- you make it sound so easy :-)

Jules said...

Wow! Sounds easy to prepare. I'll tell sister, so she will help me do this. =D

Jules
Soloden.Com
The Brown Mestizo