Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Don’t Rain on My Parade

I turned 30 this past Saturday. I’ve managed not to have a total breakdown about it. Mostly because I still feel 18 deep down inside. I remember being a child and thinking my Mom was older than dirt when she was in her 30’s. Thirty was incomprehensible to me then but not so much now.

We went to the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans to celebrate not only my birthday, but also Jordan’s 6th birthday which is on the 18th. She’s been asking to go to the Aquarium forever. We accidentally went the same weekend as the French Quarter Festival. Thankfully, we went early in the morning before it got too crowded. We had a good time for the most part, but Ronnie was in a mood. I refused to let him rain on my parade though. I just ignored him. I don’t understand why he has to be so negative sometimes. Sigh.

I got some pretty good photos of the scenery on the River Walk, and at the Aquarium. I thought I’d share a few.

Ronnie’s Mom bought Jordan a tutu and headband with flowers on them for her birthday. She put them on right away and she toured the Aquarium looking like a Princess. She was also wearing the pink cowboy boots that Ronnie and I had bought her for her birthday. She’s such a trip. (Later on that day she got a pink cowboy hat from my Mom to go with her pink boots. She is snazzy for sure!)

She especially wanted to see the penguins and was so excited when she “met” them. We bought her a stuffed penguin at the souvenir shop to mark the occasion. She toted it around everywhere.

Aquarium photos are harder to take than I realized, but here are the few photos I got of the actual animals.

This is an alligator with a gene mutation that makes him white with blue eyes. Apparently he’s not albino because his eyes are blue instead of red. He was quite creepy and very BIG.

Ever since I watched that Will Smith movie “7 pounds”, I have a whole new view on jellyfish. Yikes.

I’ll leave you with one final photo that cracks me up every time I see it. Jordan’s frowning, Lexie L. is posing, Lexie B. is getting ready to walk away, and Brandon is completely ignoring me. LOL

  

No, I didn’t have another kid! That’s my beautiful niece who came with my Mom. I wish I’d have gotten a photo of my Alexis petting the sting rays, but my hands were wet from petting them too. Who knew sting rays felt so slimy?!

Until next time…

12 comments:

Courtney said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Love all the great pictures, looks like a great place to visit!

Michelle said...

Oh Heather, that photo of the fish turned out spectacular!! Yes, aquarium photos can be tricky... Love the pic of the paddle boat. Here in St. Paul, the big one is the Mississippi Queen. Did you ever go out to eat at wherever you were going to?? I hope you had a nice birthday!! :)

Agnes said...

Happy Birthday Heather!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda Sevall said...

Happy birthday!! I had no idea we were so close together in age :) I kinda felt the same way on my birthday. I'm glad you had a great time and I think your fish pics turned out great!! :)

Leah. said...

Men! That's all I have to say about that. LOL!

I LOVE the aquarium photos! THey look so good. I'm glad you had a great day!!!

Elizabeth said...

AWESOME TANK PHOTOS!

Happy Birthday! You're not old you're just experienced! Oh boy you should have heard the hollering about DH's 40th last December... We have a new rule now, Daddy's not old (and not allowed to say he's old) until he's at least 60!

I love that pink wheelchair. Very sporty! I'd be wishing for it myself, but I made leg covers for mine a while back that are Winnie the Pooh blue toile and a custom Walt Disney bag on the back for holding all the great things that I have to buy! LOL!

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

Happy Birthday, again! lol.....sorry aobut the day. Your photos are great.

Solo said...

Woaahh...Alligator! That fish shot is so lovely. Looks like the kids enjoy the day. ;D

Solo
Travel and Living
Job Hunter

Julie W said...

Happy Birthday, again!! :) I like how your soon is getting patted on the head. Leave it to his sister(s) to keep him in check. LOL Glad you guys were able to enjoy a nice day with each other.

Adriann said...

Happy belated Bday! 30 is the new 18 so it's all good. :) Looks like a wonderful trip. Enjoy your thirties because it only gets better!!

Jules said...

Happy birthday! Lovely photos. Looks like you had fun.

Jules
Soloden.Com
The Brown Mestizo

kim said...

happy birthday. 30 is great.