Monday, April 26, 2010

Ideas For Scrapbookers Autism Blog Hop


Types of Autism Spectrum Disorders

Thanks for joining the Ideas For Scrapbookers blog hop today.  If you've been hopping along, you just came from Cathy's blog where you learned about the signs of Autism.  If you've just joined the hop, you can get a list of all the participating Artists here.  I'm going to be sharing some of the types of autism with you today.

There are three different types of ASDs:

Autistic Disorder (also called “classic” autism)
This is what most people think of when hearing the word “autism.”  People with autistic disorder usually have significant language delays, social and communication challenges, and unusual behaviors and interests. Some people, about 25% of those with an ASD also have intellectual or cognitive challenges.

Asperger Syndrome People with Asperger syndrome usually have some milder symptoms of autistic disorder.  They might have social challenges and unusual behaviors and interests.  They typically do not have intellectual challenges.  While they usually do not have problems with forming words and speaking, they may have problems with language pragmatics (the use and rules of language).

Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)
People who meet some of the criteria for autistic disorder or Asperger syndrome, but not all, may be diagnosed with PDD-NOS. People with PDD-NOS usually have fewer and milder symptoms than those with other autistic disorders.  The symptoms might cause only social and communication challenges.

To learn more, please visit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

I’d like to share a layout I made using the autism colors a little while back. I have two special needs children, so I thought that reminding people to teach their children (and other people) to be tolerant and understanding of special needs would be an appropriate topic.

I am also offering a surprise RAK here on my blog to one lucky person who leaves a comment! (I haven’t had time to take a photo this morning!) Feel free to become a follower of my blog, and you’ll get an extra entry!

Next stop on the blog hop is Dolores who will be sharing information about the diagnosis process of Autism.

26 comments:

kmassman said...

Thanks for sharing the information and the lovely layout!

sarah said...

CUTENESS!!!! :)

just poppin' in to see everyone's posts!

hugs,
sarah.

Cheryl said...

Hi Heather my son has AS...I love your scrapbook layout that you have there promoting tolerance. I agree 100% and I know that collectively us Momma Warriors will be the ones to change the world for our kids by raising awareness. It must be difficult to have more than one child with disabilities but if everyone knew how special and wonderful our kids are and how we never take for granted a word or a hug -they would know true love like we do! Thanks for raising awareness -I am now a follower. TAke Care, cheryl
http://dontworrybescrappi.blogspot.com

Marlene Murphy said...

I love that layout. I did not realize that Alexis is autistic, sorry I usually pay closer attention than that. Thanks for the information, I promise to be patient.

Cindy said...

Heather, I read your blog all the time, so it's about time I left a comment! This is a great LO about such an important topic. Your love for not only your own kids, but all those with special needs, is evident in all you do.

Cindy (aka cindy312)

Adrienne Pierce said...

Thank you for sharing the different types for us, I actually didn't know some. Your layout is beautiful and it really teaches a great lesson for us all!

TeenaBugg38 said...

Beautiful page and again I thank everyone who has participated in this hop. I am so happy to be finding others who live with this issue.....anyone can feel free to contact me. I am the mom of a 17 year old with Autism

Elizabeth said...

My cousin is autistic. I bet you figure I have a cousin for everything. That might very well be true too. No need to enter me in your drawing.

{{hugs}}

Audra said...

Great info... thanks for sharing!! I love your layout... great design and your daughter is sooo cute!! :)

Colleen said...

Thanks for sharing the information and lovely layout. As an elementary teacher, tolerance of others' differences is something I try to teach daily, so I loved seeing that layout.

Deb :) said...

what a wonderful idea for a blog hop!!

mustangkayla said...

I didn't realize there were different types. Well, sort of, I knew there were different levels, but didn't realize they had names! Great info! Love your layout!

S said...

Great layout. Thanks for the information on Autism, I'm learning a lot this Monday a.m.

Dani said...

I never knew there were different types of autism. Thank you for educating all of us! I love your layout.. it's absolutely fabulous!

Joy said...

Heather, thank you for the very useful info on Autism. Your layout is beautiful

Aj said...

beautiful layout! Thank you for being a part of this blog-hop. It has been really interesting to find out more about the autism spectrum. I definitely have a few questions to ask my oldest daughter's ped when we see him next.

Thanks!

Michelle said...

I love this LO. I agree.. people need to be tolerant of others. Hope you are having a good day!! :)

Sandy said...

Great layout and great blog hop. I have a 19 year old son with severe autism. Thanks for sharing information with everyone. That is the key, to get parents informed!

Sandy
www.asmylittleworldturns.blogspot.com

Teresa Jaye said...

Thank you for this information, your layout is beautiful. Your daughter all doodied up in pink riding horseback is simply adorable!

Monica said...

I love the layout. Thanks for sharing such great information!

Melinda AKA medialady said...

Thanks for this great information and I love your layout.

becnalec said...

Beautiful layout and a beautiful little girl.

IrisGoddess said...

Beautiful layout. The stitched circle is awesome!

Cristina said...

Thanks for the information. Your page is gorgeous!

Amanda Sevall said...

What a gorgeous layout Heather!!

Alison Day said...

Thanks for the info - there is so much to learn about Autism!
Wonderful layout too!