Saturday, June 12, 2010

The (Not So) Itsy Bitsy Spider

Brandon got bitten by a spider again two days ago. I freaked out, and I turned the house inside out. I flipped over beds, I washed every single blanket in the house. I vacuumed under and around ever single dark place I could think of. I was furious, and so upset. That makes three different bites. I am absolutely sick to my stomach over all of this. The one place my son should be safe is this house, and it’s just breaking my heart that he hasn’t been.

I did find one spider under the bookshelf near the front door while I was vacuuming. I’m guessing this spider was the one that was biting him because I store his cars on that bookshelf so he frequently sits in front of it. I found it while I was vacuuming, and I vacuumed it up so quickly that I didn’t really see what type it was. I had been trying to avoid using pesticides, but when he got bitten again. I just didn’t see any other way around it.

We bombed the house with pesticide foggers today. We left the house and brought the kids to my sister in law’s house where they are spending the night. Trust me, they are in good hands and they are all being spoiled rotten! When we got home four hours later, there were only three bugs I could see on the floor. A fly, an earwig, and a small spider directly under Brandon's chair where he eats. We had to open all of the windows and go sit outside while the house aired out for at least thirty minutes.

While we were out there, I happened to look over at the kid's sand box. I saw a spider web, so I got my little garden trowel, and knocked it down. Two spiders fell out and I smushed them with the trowel while cussing up a storm because I was barefoot and didn’t have shoes to crush them with safely. After I killed them, I walked around the sand box, and saw another web. I knocked it down and another spider fell down. So I killed it too! At this point, I became extremely concerned because my children play in this sand box DAILY.

I had Ronnie pull the sand box off the carport into the grass. He helped me turn it over and there were OVER ten more spiders in the little molded holes underneath the sandbox. One of which was a brown recluse. I killed them all with Ronnie's help. (Shrieking like crazy all the while!) We killed all of the spiders, and then we threw the sandbox out to the street for the trash man to pick up. I don’t want it anymore. It was like the PERFECT spider condo. I was SO upset. Ronnie and I pulled all of their toys off of the carport and painstakingly cleaned all of them. I'm having an exterminator out to treat the yard and the exterior of the house on the 16th. I'm mad/worried/scared, and a million other emotions that I can’t even describe.

My night without the kids has been full of cleaning. I’ve been washing clothes, doing dishes, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, fixing the vacuum, and vacuuming some more. I always complain about how nuts the kids are and how it’s never quiet, but let me tell you… I miss those little buggers. I do have to say that with all of the cleaning after fogging the house, my house is the cleanest it's been since we moved in. So that's something right?

If you’re waiting on the sandal review… it’s coming! I have just been beyond distracted by the not so itsy bitsy spiders around here. I’ve been threatening to move to Canada, or somewhere where there aren’t so many spiders. Ronnie refuses to move because he wants to stay near our families. He wouldn’t even listen when I told him I found my dream home browsing real estate in Tennessee. I was all set to move to Tennessee until I found out they have brown recluse spiders too. Maybe I should move to Antarctica? Are there spiders there?!

Brandon is healing pretty well. He has been such a trooper through all of this. I really am so grateful that he doesn’t seem to be losing that much tissue. The swelling has gone down, and now only the center of the bite is red. It feels warm, hard, and dry. He says it doesn’t hurt, but it itches. Thank you to everyone for your comments, concerns, and prayers. It meant so much to me, and to Brandon! 

11 comments:

Adrienne Pierce said...

Holy Moly! Sounds like the south to me! I hate that this has happened again you ya'll...it is always a hard thing to handle when your kids get hurt and yes, your home is where he should be safe, but you need to know it isn't your fault. One place you might not think of is to pull out your stove and fridge...recluses are notorious for hiding there...I used/still clean houses/ foreclosures and they are ALWAYS hiding there...never fails.

We have to on a weekly/bi-weekly basis take a can of spray paint and a lighter to our carport..not the safest thing but we were told fire is the only sure kill...especially saks....if you step on a sak 50% of the spiders will live. We all park under it and once I found a sak behind my sons car seat...I flipped... we only had it a month..took my car to Bebos and said detail it..then do it again.

I definatly thing bug man is needed...they are good about having chemicals safe for indoors these days...I hope you get your spiders all killed!!! Hope he feels better poor little guy!

Michelle said...

I am with Adrienne... pull out the fridge and stove as well. They are great hiding places!! So sorry you have had to go thru all of this!! I hope that with this next treatment, it gets rid of all those nasty buggers!!! Hang in there, chickie!!

JadeCook said...

oh dear you poor thing. I think I had a spider bite on the bottom of my foot and it took 5 days for it to feel like normal again. I couldn't even walk on it for a few days! Thanks for telling me about the sand box. I was thinking about getting Westin on. I dunno if I will now. I think we will stick with just a pool. I am glad Brandon is handling it so well.

kim said...

wow i hope those spiders leave you all alone now.

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

Poor thing, I feel so badly for you...definitely pull out the appliances and vacuum behind them as well. I can't imagine what you must be feeling. Ronnie is right, you would miss your family. Maybe you could get over it if you lived near friends tho. I don't know if Antarctica has spiders. Hmmmm, California doesn't have brown recluse spiders, and you have friends there. Hmmmmm

Helen said...

well don't come here ... lol .. we have major spiders! But not so many inside TG! It sounds like one of those "white dot tail" spiders we get. Very scary.I hope you find the bugger.

Amanda Sevall said...

California does have brown recluse spiders... I think those nasty things are everywhere! Sorry to hear that he got bitten again. :( Sounds like you found their "home" in the sandbox and that's gone now. Hopefully that will help. We have a pest control company that sprays the exterior of our house once a month. That really seems to help. I can count on one hand the number of times in 8 years that I've found a spider inside of our house! More hugs Heather!!! Hang in there!!!

Leah. said...

Do you think your hubby would get mad if I just showed up at your door with moving boxes and a free place to stay. LOL! Kidding of course, but Canada is an option especially since you are tired of the heat too!

Wish my house was that clean. Hope you got all the little buggers. I would be freaking out. Crossing fingers for you :)

AMKrogsgaard said...

I *hate* spiders. When I see them, I start to panic- even over the little ones. Kyle has to kill them for me. The good news is there's no brown recluses' here in Canada! The worst we've got out here are ticks. Ick. Just as bad as spiders in my mind!

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

I hate spiders...move to california.

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.