Tuesday, June 8, 2010

This Is The Future

Two posts in one day. Really, it must be a record! I guess I just have a whole lot to say lately. We’ve been cooped up in the house for most of the past week because the kids have been taking turns having an absolutely awful tummy ache. I’ve been afraid to leave the house at all. On Saturday we got a little bit of a break, and Ronnie and I took the kids out for breakfast.

None of them have ever been to a Waffle House, and it was quite an experience. I was able to actually get them to all sit in the booth during breakfast. (Usually Brandon wants to run around and I have to fuss at him to stay seated.) The waitress was really sweet, and she gave them all Waffle House hats. They wore them all through the meal, and even in the car afterward.

DSC01832

Jordan had just declared her intent to be a Waffle House waitress when she grows up when I took this photo. That’s why the other kids are smiling and she’s not. She also wasn’t feeling quite herself after her illness. She always cracks me up. I told her she can be whatever she wants to be when she grows up because I’ll be proud of her no matter what she does! Last week she wanted to be an astronaut who plays baseball. LOL

We took them to the park after breakfast before it got too hot. It’s only June and it’s been sweltering here. Over ninety degrees at ten in the morning. Ridiculous! When we got home they were all super tired, and they watched TV for a bit. A Momma’s work is never done, so I went grocery shopping.

Later that evening, I fired up the grill because I had an idea for a recipe I wanted to try. I decided if it came out well that I’d post it here to share with everyone. It came out super good. Even the kids ate it!

Barbequed Corn

Ingredients:

4 Fresh Ears of Corn (Still in the Stalks)

1/2 Stick of Butter Softened

1 Lime

1/4 tsp. Cilantro

1/4 tsp. Cumin

1/4 tsp. Red Pepper

1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt

Aluminum Foil

Directions:

1. Remove the leaves and all of the corn silk strands and wash the corn well. Cut the ends off of each ear, and then cut each ear in half. (You can leave them whole if you wish, but they’ll cook quicker if they are smaller.)

2. Cover the top shelf of your grill with aluminum foil. Then turn your grill on to preheat.

3. Combine 1/2 Stick of butter with the juice of the lime. Mix well. Add the cilantro, cumin, red pepper, and kosher salt to the butter and lime mixture. Stir well.

4. Place your corn on top of the aluminum foil and paint on the butter mixture with a grill brush. Turn the corn every few minutes so it doesn’t burn, and reapply the butter mixture as you go.

5. The corn is cooked when the kernels change to a darker yellow. If you want a bit of color on your corn like I did, you can move it to the bottom shelf of your grill for a minute or two. Be sure to keep a close eye on it or it will burn.

6. Serve warm. Enjoy!

P.S. Don’t forget to read the post below! I only have one more sample to give away! Leave me a comment if you want one.

5 comments:

JadeCook said...

I love Waffle House and we dont have one where we are at. Can you believe that? IHOPS everywhere tho lol. I love their hats ha ha. Who doesn't want to be a Waffle House waitress? All you can eat waffles and hash browns! ha ha Only in my dreams. It has been pretty hot here! We stay in the pool or indoors lol. I would like to go to the zoo, but it is too hot for that!

Michelle said...

LOVE corn on the cob!! I can't wait for it to come in season here to buy locally!!! Tastes so much better! We have to wait until August tho!!!

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

Yum, yum, yum...love some corn. still not in season here tho. we don't have waffle houses, not even too many IHOPs, we is deprived. sigh

Barb P said...

Heather, I clicked through from your link on SD4U. Great blog! Your kids are adorable; I've never been to a Waffle House either, sounds like fun. And I am going to have to try that recipe when the corn comes into season here. Thanks!

Leah. said...

Glad the kids got a break from icky sickness! I love the shot of them in the car :)

Stay cool. I know I am :(