Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Unhappy

Just a little post about why I’m not feeling very happy with where I live right now.

Top Ten Reasons Why I Hate Living in Louisiana

1. Crooked politicians suck.

2. The huge oil spill and the lack of responsibility by people involved.

3. It’s so hot I could fry an egg on the blacktop road.

4. It’s stormed so much that my backyard has turned into soup.

5. Since it’s stayed so wet over the past two weeks, my kid’s toys are now mildewed.

6. I cannot get the mildew off of the kid’s toys, so I had to throw some away.

7. One word: Snakes

8. Terribly high auto, home, and health insurance rates.

9. Irresponsible neighbors. (I know, not all Louisiana neighbors are irresponsible, just some of the ones I know.)

10. SPIDERS!!!

I could explain all of these things, but I’m sure you don’t want to hear me rant that much. I’ll concentrate on number ten.

Today I had to bring Brandon to the pediatrician. He was bitten by a brown recluse spider. Luckily I caught the swelling early, and the antibiotics and cream should help. My health insurance refused to cover the cream he needed so it cost me $50.00. Which was ridiculous, but really… I’d pay anything to make him feel better. He isn’t running fever, but he’s very tired and whiny. His skin has already started to peel off. I keep putting his little foot in an ice water bath to help prevent the venom from spreading. He thinks this is great fun! I’m glad he’s entertained. When I found out it was a brown recluse spider bite, I cried. Brown recluse spider bites can be deadly in children under six years old. He is going to be fine, but we will have to wait and see how much tissue damage the venom has caused. It’ll become clearer in the next couple of days how bad it is.

We have no clue how he got the bite. He plays outside in the yard barefoot sometimes, but our yard is well maintained and has no high grass or dry dark hiding spots. As far as the house goes, we have the outside treated against pests. I didn’t want the pesticides inside the house where the children could breathe them in. After this, I’m thinking I will have the exterminator come and spray everywhere inside and out. Then we will leave for at least 24 hours, and when we come back I’ll leave the windows open and air the house out. I am really super upset, and really frustrated with insurance, spiders, and life in general. Thank goodness Brandon is such a happy go lucky, healthy child. I couldn’t end this post without sharing a photo of him icing his feet.

DSC01866

Thank you God that he’s okay!

13 comments:

Adrienne Pierce said...

What a bummer! Both my boys were also bitten by spiders, not sure what kind though poisonous we know. I noticed a pimple looking bump on my oldest leg that became a blackhead over night and swollen.. his cream was also NOT covered by insurance and was $45 I striped my youngest naked and checked all the cracks and crevices and I mean ALL...unfortunately what we didn't check was his scalp...he had to have his head cut open and drained...We were still very very lucky as I am sure you know you are....spider bites can be VERY dangerous..we suspect ours happened at a friends tree house. The Pediatrician said you should never put toys directly under trees, they are spider havens...I hope his little foot gets better fast!

JadeCook said...

Louisiana does have its bad fault, like spiders, but all and all I like it here!

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

Oh my goodness...here I was, reading your list, going to comment on,...you know where is a great place to live! lol......but then...so sorry about Brandon! I wondered where you were today. Oh my...I can't even imagine what your day must have been like. Poor little guy. And poor mommy! Big hugs to you all.

Michelle said...

So very sorry to read this!!! I hope that he foot is ok!! Been there before with the insurance as well. Hang in there Chickie!! I am thinking of you!!!

Laurie! said...

I'm so sorry to read this! I hope everything works out and that his foot gets to feeling better. Don't you just love health insurance? It's like, why are we paying money to get help when the health insurance companies don't help? All I can say is, don't move to New Jersey. We may not have an oil spill, but things aren't much better up here.

kim said...

we have those siders here too in PA and my MIL was bit by one last year. Her arm turned all brown and the skin look like it was eaten up by a monster. those spiders are horrible. She says she got it in the basement but that makes no sense since she never goes down there except maybe 5 seconds per month. I always saw spiders in her kitchen though and I think thats where she got it. i never saw a brown recluse in the kitchen but if there are other spiders there then it would make sense.

I would also pesticide the house too. We had to do that once for termites and went on a nice mini vacation to a hotel with a pool...the kids loved it.

AMKrogsgaard said...

Oh my! I'm hoping for the best, Heather, and so sorry your sweet little man was bitten. He's going to heal up like it never happened!

Elizabeth said...

EEEgads! Poor little B! ACK!

Did you try a bleach spritz on the toys? You're supposed to be able to make a bleach mixture - spray it on everything leave it 10 mins to half an hour and then rise with the hose.

Magic erasers are great too, but they don't get in the cracks like the bleach.

Hopefully there will only be a tiny bit of damage caused by the bite! I'm hoping for you!

Amanda Sevall said...

I think we all go through that phase of "I hate it here!" every once in a while! :) Hugs Heather!! And as for that spider... eek!! My father-in-law was bit a couple of years ago by the same nasty crawly critter (yes, they are here in California too!) on his finger. He's just fine, though it took it a while to heal. I hope Brandon is better soon and that he heals quickly. At least he's seeing the fun in it! Gotta love that spirit! :)

Leah. said...

I'm telling you, I don't envy you. The bugs and snakes and weird ass things there really creep me out.

I'm soooooo glad Brandon is okay!!!

If it makes you feel any better, while you melt away there, I'm pretty sure summer is never going to arrive here! It's chilly :(

Thinking of you!

Cheryl said...

Hi , I feel your pain, I live in SC where we also have crooked, and awful politicians, crappy health care that barely covers anything until you've forked out a small fortune, and brown recluse spiders. be careful with the latter, my first husband was bitten by one and he had a literal skinned over hole in his back. I hope you don't feel alone now-lol-take care and I hope the spider bite heals up for your boy!!

Jane said...

oh Heather! What a big drag! I am so sorry your feeling miserable about your surroundings but I am so happy that Brandon is alright!

You know that each state and areas have their downside right? HEy, I live in Illinois where the politicians are really criminals!! We just have to keep on keepin on ( I can't believe I just said that!) Any way you know what I mean. HUGS to you right know and I hope the days get better!!

Jill Sarginson said...

Just poppin' by ... I get email notifications and read all your posts but don't always drop by to leave a comment! Life, as you know, has been super rough lately so haven't had the time/energy!

Sorry about the spider bite but thankfully everything worked out ..

Big hugs!