Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Your Eyes Don’t Lie

Ronnie took the day off of work today so I could bring the girls to their eye appointment. Brandon never sits still while the girls are being examined and the idea of him rearranging the optometrist’s office wasn’t appealing to me at all. So Ronnie watched him while we went to a new eye doctor. I wanted a second opinion on the girls’ glasses. For some reason they both insisted on looking over the top of the glasses instead of through them. This has been going on for years. Every time I brought it up with the old eye doctor, he chalked it up to the fact that they glasses made their eye muscles work. Hmmm. Okay.

The final straw that made me seek a second opinion was when he told me a few months ago that Jordan needed surgery to fix the crossing in her eyes. Her eyes do not cross consistently. They only cross when she’s super excited. The last time we were there I brought up the fact that I can hardly read to her because she has to pull the book so close to her face so she can see the pictures. He still stated that her glasses were “fine”.

This is the same doctor that did two eye surgeries on Alexis for her eyes crossing. Her eyes do cross, but I can tell you that neither surgery showed an improvement at all.

Today I found out that their glasses were not “fine”. Alexis doesn’t even NEED glasses at all. Her eyes do cross, and they don’t work together at all but her vision is actually okay. It’s more of a neurological issue that can’t be corrected through surgery or eyeglasses. It makes me totally furious that she went through two surgeries because I trusted that other doctor. I also found out that the glasses she was wearing were entirely too strong, and that they were contributing to her vision problems! Let me tell you that as soon as I calm down I will be on the phone with his office raising ten types of trouble.

They do visual therapy at the new doctor’s office, and Alexis is eligible for the service. Basically it can help retrain the brain by using eye exercises. I’m really interested to see how it works.

Jordan. My poor baby! The eye doctor took her glasses off right away and went to test the prescription. Her glasses were made for an extremely farsighted child. The problem with this? Jordan is extremely NEARSIGHTED. The glasses were actually making things a whole lot worse. According to the doctor, Jordan’s sight is so bad that if she held her hand out and I put a small object in it she wouldn’t be able to tell me what it is. Of course I’m wondering if her wearing the wrong prescription for years now could have contributed to her awful eyesight.

She does need glasses badly. She is getting beautiful new blue glasses to set off her brown eyes perfectly. She gets them next week. She will also be undergoing vision therapy because her eyes don’t track as well as they should and her perception is off.

I’m totally kicking myself for not switching doctors sooner. Even though I kept questioning the old doctor and trying to be sure everything was okay I still didn’t feel right about the situation. The Mom in me is just so angry. Not only with the old doctor, but with myself for not switching sooner. Sigh.

10 comments:

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

Oh my goodness! I would be furious! I would be pitching a fit up one side and down the other...Phil would totally have to be holding me back from beating the hecka someone! I am so, so, so sorry. Those poor babies.

Guess there is nothing to be done but move on. Hope things get better from here. Hugs.

Michelle said...

Ditto to what Nancy said!!! I would really be raising all he..!!! I would be upset too. But, now you know. I hope this vision therapy works wonders for the girls!!! Big hugs to you!!

Amanda Sevall said...

Definitely do not be mad at yourself!! You did the best that you could. I'd definitely be looking at filing a formal complaint against him. Malpractice? Certainly would be asking that question. I guess it's true that it's always good to get a second opinion before surgery. Hang in there!!

AMKrogsgaard said...

I would be furious, too! When I finally told husband that we were taking the girls to the emergency a few weeks ago, I'd had enough of the general practitioners out here, too. It was always the same old story, and none of it was helping my poor girl! It was definitely a lesson in trusting your motherly instincts, just like it was for you!!

kim said...

oh my goodness! I would be frustrated too this sort of thing happens to me alot. doctors always tell me mixed things too and I always have an attitude now that don't believe them right off the bat...but thats after YEARS of trusting them and realizing that doctors make mistakes too.

Leah. said...

*sigh* That poor thing! I would be furious too!!!!

Hugs!!!!!!

Julie W said...

Your girls have some company - I, too, have horrible, horrible eyesight. Without my contacts or eyeglasses, I can't see a damn thing. I am so dependent on them and I definitely know the struggle involved in getting the right prescription and finding an eye doctor that knows what he/she is doing. I've had glasses that were too strong, too weak and have had my questions rebuffed with the "Oh, you just have to get used to 'em" or "That's just the way it is." So, I can at least relate to that. Don't beat yourself up too much. We moms are always doing the best we can! I think it's awesome you went ahead and took the leap to find someone else for their eye care. Best wishes for their vision therapy!!!

Pam Callaghan said...

oh my gosh. that is terrible!! That makes me so sad. I am glad you got it staightened out !

Pam Callaghan said...

oh my gosh. that is terrible!! That makes me so sad. I am glad you got it staightened out !

Sand and Sunshine said...

Eaagads, hugs for you!