Saturday, November 27, 2010

Give Thanks With A Grateful Heart

I absolutely can not believe that we are already coming to the end of this year. It seems like yesterday was January 1st and I was making my resolutions. Now Thanksgiving has passed and I’m making plans for Christmas presents! Yikes! I’d better get a move on and start shopping. Before I do that, I have some photos to share from our Thanksgiving celebration at my grandparent’s house in Southern Louisiana.

It’s a two hour drive from here to there so we decided to take the car instead of the van because it gets better gas mileage. That was a HUGE mistake because all the kids did was fight! Thankfully they slept a good part of the way home. They were making us crazy!

When we arrived at my grandma’s house we went straight to check out the new baby goats! I know. It’s not a very traditional Thanksgiving activity but my family is a bit weird. We do what we want to do. We spend a lot of time hanging out outside and doing crazy redneck stuff. If we didn’t it just wouldn’t be the same!

Here are the goat holding/chasing photos! This is Alexis with Pumpkin Longman. She was so thrilled to catch him. It was too funny watching her running around trying to corner him so she could pick him up.



This Jordan with Boo Longman. (These new babies were born the day before Halloween so Jordan named them with a Halloween theme.)



After they were done petting the goats, the kids decided that they wanted to go worm hunting with Uncle Buddy. He pours a soapy solution on the ground and the worms come up to the surface. It’s a good way to get free bait for your fish hook! The kids just like checking the worms out.



More worm hunting photos… The cutie pie on the right is one of my my nephews. He’s got the most beautiful blue eyes.



After trying several different places they found some worms. Jordan was the only one brave enough to pick them up so she got to be the keeper of the worms! Join me in saying “Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww”. Trust me, I made her SCRUB her hands when she came in the house.



She was absolutely fascinated with the worms so she was heartbroken when I told her that she couldn’t bring them home with us. I made her put them in Maw Maw’s garden.

This next set of photos totally makes me laugh because they remind me of those Jeff Foxworthy jokes. (As in: You might be a redneck if you go tractor surfing before you eat Thanksgiving dinner. LOL) My grandpa built this sled for the kids and attached a chair to it. Then they towed it with the lawn tractor. You just can’t make this stuff up!

This is my cousin Katie Lynn and Jordan. My brother Trey is driving. I was the overprotective Mom and wouldn’t let Jordan ride by herself.



Alexis Ariel did convince me to let her go by herself. She giggled so much I was worried she would fall off!



My Mom (AKA Maw Maw Honey) went with Brandon. He was absolutely thrilled. Not just with riding the sled, but with spending time with my Mom. He hasn’t seen her in a while and has been asking for her. I love how happy they both are in this photo.



Then we drove the tractor up to the levee so we could all see the river. Brandon and I raced up it, and Ronnie helped Jordan.



Jordan got furious because she couldn’t do it by herself and she ended up crying. The incline was just too steep. I was trying to get her to pose for a photo with Ronnie but she was so not into it.



When we got back to the house we played with my new nephew Zachary! He is a cutie pie and a half. Look at those big brown eyes. I got to feed him and put him to sleep. He was so sweet!

DSC04063 copy

After we played for a while Thanksgiving lunch was ready! My Mom and grandparents are amazing cooks and my Uncle Buddy made the best green beans too. Yummy! The kids even ate them. I made pineapple upside down cake. It’s not traditional either but my grandpa really likes it and that’s all that matters! Everyone raved over it which is always awesome.

We headed home after lunch because I was worried about Lady being home by herself for so long. (More details on that in a bit.) The kids fell asleep in the back seat after about an hour of driving. Ronnie and I were extremely grateful for the quiet!



That night after we got home Jordan had an accident! She was reaching over the baby gate to get a toy and she fell face first over the gate. She hit her mouth on the toy she had been reaching for and knocked out her two top front teeth. They were a little bit loose before but they were definitely not ready to come out. There was blood EVERYWHERE!!! It scared me half to death. She was frightened at first, but after she calmed down she reminded me that now she would get to sing “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth”. I laughed and cried at the same time. That child is something!



The reason why we came home early on Thanksgiving was to be with our dog Lady. She hasn’t been doing at all well health wise. We are thinking that we don’t have long left with her. I called the veterinarian's office today to see what arrangements we would have to make to have her put to sleep. It’s that bad. We were hoping that she would make it until Christmas but we really don’t want her to be in pain. Please say a prayer for our family because I just know that losing her is going to be really hard on all of us.

Lady sat on the couch with me today while I did my digital scrapbook pages that are due this week for my Jessica Sprague creative team work. It was a nice way for me to get to spend some time quiet with her and it helped take my mind off of things.

Here is one of the layouts that I came up with today. There will be another one tomorrow but I can’t post that one yet.

RememberWeb

Supplies: Crystal Wilkerson's Rounded Corner Templates, Crystal Wilkerson's November 2009 Eye Candy, Kitschy Digitals' Vintage Cameras Kit, Kitschy Digitals' Granny's Attic Kit, and Kitschy Digitals' Fabric Covered Buttons.

Thanks!

8 comments:

Kim A. said...

What great Thanksgiving photos. Hugs and prayers for you and your family. Lady is lucky to have a family that loves her so much!

verabear said...

I love how your Thanksgiving celebration is more than just the dinner itself but a really fun day spent with family. Yes, I too love that photo of your little one with his grandma on the sled. :)

Vera

Leah. said...

I'm dying over those tractor photos!!!! *giggle*

Cindy d said...

It may be redneck, but it sounds like a FABULOUS way to spend Thanksgiving. That tractor surfing is hilarious!

Heather Landry said...

Thank you Kim and Cindy!

Cindy, It really WAS fun! LOL

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

Love your "redneck" Thanksgiving. Looks like tons of fun! So sorry about Lady, and...well, Jordan is such a little trooper. Hugs.

Dolores said...

Awesome photos, love your layout!!!

Sand and Sunshine said...

Great post! Eegads about Jordan and her teeth but she is so right! My prayers go out to Lady and her family.