Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Return to Serenity

The past few days have been relaxing and quiet. Those are two words that are not often mentioned in our home! The girls went back to school on Monday and I can honestly say that Brandon and I are working on getting an Olympic medal for being bums.

We’ve stayed in our pajamas and watched movies almost all day. We’ve played Thomas Mega Blocks and Wii. We’ve cuddled and wrestled and made huge messes. I haven’t even cared!

I’m working on being more laid back this year in case you haven’t been able to tell in the previous paragraphs. My “One Little Word” for this year is “serenity”. I’ve been working on being less stressed and I have to say… I’m getting there!

The girls are doing really well in school and here at home so that helps. Alexis loves her teacher and is making good grades. Her behavior around the house lately has been markedly improved. I’m hoping that it continues because we can all use the peace!

Jordan broke my heart this morning when she told me that she didn’t want to be different from other kids. She said that she doesn’t like having cerebral palsy and she asked me how she got it. That’s a mighty tricky subject to discuss with her since it wasn’t under the best of circumstances. I gave her the simplest answer that I could. (Because she was born too early.)

She took that at face value but then kept asking me why she had to be different. I told her it’s because she’s special and is meant for great things. I truly believe that. Then I pointed out that she’s not the only kid we know with cerebral palsy so she can’t be THAT different. She really liked that comment. Of course, my heart was broken over the whole discussion. She’s so smart for six years old. Sometimes I just can’t believe the things she comes up with.

I’ve been doing a lot better health wise. Thankfully the migraines have disappeared for a  while and my vision is returning to normal (mostly). That means I’ve been able to scrapbook more so I have a few layouts that I’d like to share.

HL_FreeWEB

Journaling: At 8 mos. old the doctors finally decided that you were ready to come off of your oxygen. I have never seen you happier than you were today with it off! Jordan Jasmine (Jan. 2005)

These photos are not as great as I'd normally use but I treasure them for their sentiment so I had to use them!

Supplies: Cosmo Cricket's Earth Love Candy Candy, Cosmo Crickets' Earth Love Paper Pack, Cosmo Cricket's Earth Love Element Pack, and Creativity by Crystal's Merry & Bright Paper Pack.

DSC035055_1

Before I say anything else about this layout, I should warn you not to use your punches on cork! I almost ruined one of mine when it got stuck. It was not pretty. I do think that the end result is pretty but next time I’d try to cut it on my Cricut with the deep cut blade and multi-cut feature.

I created this layout using the Pyrus kit from Scraptastic Club that came out in November. It’s on sale now for only $15.00 so head on over there and snatch one up quickly before they sell out!

While I was going through my older Scraptastic Club kits to find the Pyrus kit I came across the My Mind’s Eye Alphabet Soup for Boys one that I had bought and never touched! Of course, I had to pull it out and play with it too. (It’s on sale for only $10.00 at Scraptastic Club right now. She’s having a HUGE sale!)

I’m really enjoying my scrappy time lately. I sure did miss it when I was so busy and sick  in December.

Thanks!

8 comments:

JadeCook said...

going to check out scraptastic now lol

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

so sorry about Jordan, kids ask the most difficult questions sometimes. glad you are finding the peace and serenity you so deserve. can i come over and be a bum? hugs.

Sand and Sunshine said...

I think questions like that are the hardest to answer. Nice job taking the high road.

Cindy d said...

Great word! Wishing you a year (and beyond) of serenity.

Alison said...

Heather, I love your man tra for this year. In one short word, I think mine is joy. And, I have to say that your LO's are precious--especially the first one!

Michelle said...

She is a wise little girl. I am glad you were able to cheer her up! You will have to pass on about Brit's classmate. LOVE the page with the Earth Love... so pretty!!!! Great job with the Pyrus and MME Boy kits as well!!!

Kristin said...

Hi Heather, Happy New Year! I love your goal to stay stress free or as close as possible to that. I think your answers to really hard questions were great. Beautiful LO's the first is my fav, I love the colors. And thanks for the template :)

Amanda Sevall said...

Awwww.... :( What a tough question to answer. Big hug!! I would say I'd love to come be a bum with you -- it would have been more fun than by my lonesome while my back was out! LOL :)