Monday, February 28, 2011

Lots Of New Info

Jordan had therapy on Thursday and we had to rush across the street to her cerebral palsy doctor when she was finished with her session. We made it just in time for our appointment and then we waited an additional 20 minutes for the doctor to come in and talk to us.

He examined her and agreed with me that she is experiencing bilateral ankle clonus. *Definition: Ankle clonus is a sign of spasticity in which involuntary shaking or jerking of the leg occurs when the toe is placed on the floor with the knee slightly bent. The spasms in the calf muscle make the foot and leg bounce up and down. The shaking is caused by repeated, rhythmic, reflex muscle contractions, rapidly alternating between contraction and relaxation of a muscle. Ankle clonus is the most common form of clonus.*

It’s at it’s worst when she first wakes up in the morning. I noticed it particularly when I would go in to put on her braces and shoes. Her little foot just starts shaking like mad and she giggles! She told me that it tickles. I am not half as entertained it because I know what it means. She’s always been pretty lucky as far as her tone in her legs. She hasn’t been too tight or too loose and that’s the reason she’s able to get around so well. Recently she’s had a growth spurt and her bones have grown but her muscles can’t keep up and so she’s developing higher tone and clonus.

The doctor said that she has to wear her sleeping braces nightly now and she is not a big fan of that at all. He also started her on Baclofen to try to control the spasms. So far it doesn’t seem to be working. He is probably going to increase the dosage soon. If the increase doesn’t work  then he’s suggesting Botox injections. I am not too sure about those at all. The research I’ve done makes me a little leery of them.

On Friday, the girls had vision therapy. Brandon and I chilled out in the van and waited for them to finish. After we dropped the girls off at school we ran out to Lane Bryant to pick up some clothes that I ordered. Brandon thought watching me try on clothes was funny. He also had a blast trying on their costume jewelry. He was partial to the really blingy dragonfly ring.

Jordan had hippotherapy on Saturday and after her riding session was over we met Alexis’ biological brother at the park for a visit. It was really good to see him because it had been over six months since his adoptive mother returned my phone calls. Alexis was so glad to see him. She had been in tears several times asking me when she could visit with him again.



We came home after the visit and did some serious cleaning because Ronnie’s parents and sister were coming over on Sunday and the house was absolutely trashed. I don’t get it. I’m constantly cleaning and I never seem to get anywhere with it. I read a quote once that said something like “Cleaning when you have children in the house is like trying to shovel snow during a snow storm.” I totally agree!

Sunday was nice! It was really good to see Ronnie’s family. I was grocery shopping for some of the time they were here but when I got back we all had lunch together. The kids had a ton of fun playing with their grandparents and Aunt!

Before I forget, also I have a digital freebie to share. Click the link below to go download the template and feel free to pin the sketch!

HL February '11 Template Two Prv

http://www.4shared.com/file/mIlutweD/HL_Feb11TempTwo.html

I brought Alexis to her psychiatrist appointment today. It was an important appointment because yesterday she pulled out all of her eyebrows again. She had been doing so well with growing them back in but after Ronnie’s family left yesterday she yanked them all out.

Her psychiatrist said that she needs her anxiety medication increased because her old doctor had her on a dosage that wouldn’t touch her obsessive compulsive disorder at all. He also increased her bipolar medication a tiny bit because she’s been so very manic lately. I’m hoping that it will also help with her aggression. She has been very mean to everyone in our family lately and has even been physically aggressive with the younger kids. It  makes our home life really tough when everyone is arguing all the time.

Since this post got so very long I’ll share my Jessica Sprague and Scraptastic Club layouts in a separate post!

Plentiful Thank You

4 comments:

Miss Sarah said...

Wow, it sounds like you and I have a bit in common! While I have no children, I do have lots of brothers and sisters who are disabled. My one brother, Noah, he's got Anaridia (which means he has no iris, basically, he's legally blind). I also have two brothers who have been diagnosed with reactive airway disease, a brother who was born addicted to cocaine and heroine and a sister who was starved when she was an infant. I should take the time to mention now that these kids were adopted when they were very young. Unfortunately everything has residual effects. My prayers are with your family. Your children are gorgeous!

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the DigiFree category today [01 Mar 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Sand and Sunshine said...

Shoveling snow in a snow storm, is that my trouble? And here all along I was blaming the grown man in my house... LOL.

You take care of yourself, sounds like your hands are really full right now, so hugs all around! And maybe Sangrias too! Shoot, now that sounds good...

Amanda Sevall said...

Lots going on -- glad you are getting more answers. Sorry to hear that Jordan is having more difficulty and has to wear night braces. That doesn't sound comfortable at all. :(

And sorry to hear that Alexis' medications haven't been straightened out yet - hope they get that under control soon so her poor eyebrows aren't pulled out again. I imagine that hurts. :( Glad she got to see her biological brother though.

Love the side story about Brandon and the bling! LOL :)

You've been busy!!