Thursday, April 28, 2011

Because I Said SO!

I remember being really frustrated as a child when my Mom would say “Because I said so!”. The unfairness and abruptness of it all left me feeling irritated. I can remember thinking to myself that I would never ever say that to my children when I grew up. I planned to answer my future children fairly by explaining my reasoning to them.

Twenty years later, I’ve realized that one should never say never because I’ve found myself saying “Because I said so!” multiple times. In fact, I just may be turning into my mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example:

A thirty one year old mother of three is driving a beautifully clean red minivan down the highway. She’s engaging in a discussion with her three agreeable, adorable children. The Mom is impeccably dressed and ready for anything. (Okay, I made that part up. The Mom is really dressed in yoga pants and her hair is a mess because she spent so much time making her kids adorable.) They are on their way to yet another doctor’s appointment.

Alexis: “Mom, Are we going to the park?”

Mom: “No honey.” “Jordan has a doctor’s appointment and we are running late as usual.”

Brandon: “Mommy, can we go to the park AFTER the appointment?”

Mom: “No, because Jordan is sick and I don’t want her to get overheated.”

Jordan: “But Moooooooooooooooooom, I want to go to the park! I’m not that sick!” (Insert croupy cough here.)

Mom: “It’s not fair to go to the park because your sister wouldn’t be able to play.”

Alexis: “Please, please, pleeeeease with a cherry on top?!”

Mom: “I said NO guys now that’s enough!”

All Three Lovely Children: “But WHY?!” (Imagine this in a whiny tone of voice that dogs can hear miles away.)

Mom: “Because I SAID so!” (She sighs and rolls her eyes.)

Jordan: “You know Mom… If you roll your eyes, they’ll get stuck like that.”

Mom: (Thinks to herself.) Awesome. Now SHE’S turning into my Mom too! At lease I’ll have some company. Right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I’m older it’s a lot easier to see that we drove my Mom absolutely insane because we were only slightly more civilized than marauding pirates on our best days. She was probably totally fed up with us. Hindsight really is 20/20. I know now that there IS a reason to say “Because I said so”! Three reasons in my house to be exact.

How about you? Do you find yourself repeating things you swore you would never say? I can’t be the only one! (Please tell me I’m not the only one. LOL)

P.S. Before I go I just have to say… Don’t forget to wash behind your ears and look both ways before you cross the street!

Plentiful Thank You

4 comments:

Miss Sarah said...

LOL!

My mother's biggest thing was getting exasperated by my brother and I and throwing her hands up in the air and say, "You know, I'm not having this conversation any longer!"

The other week, I was having lunch with some friends and we got onto the very dangerous topic of politics. Well, of course, everybody at the table (except yours truly) was utterly WRONG on EVERYTHING (*said tongue in cheek*) and finally, I got fed up with my poor misguided friends, threw my hands up in the air, and said, "You know, I'm not having this conversation any longer!"

My friends just stared at me, mouths agape and one of them said, "Okay, MOM."

Ugh. LOL

Jasmine said...

Heather your writing is amazing...always makes me laugh. I don't have any children, but see my niece and nephews everyday. I do find myself constantly saying things my Ma would say to my sis & I. I also lie about whether it's chicken or fish- which Ma used to do and I swore I never would. Thanks for the chuckle.
Jazz.
http://alittledabofglue.blogspot.com/

Heather Landry said...

You guys are totally making me giggle! I an glad it's not only me.

Sarah, I refuse to discuss politics with many people. We just have to agree to disagree sometimes. LOL

Jazz, I SO lie about the chicken/fish thing too. I had forgotten about that. Hehe

Nati Tristan said...

I don't have kids yet Heather.. but I already catch myself doing things my mom did/does! It's absolutely horrifying! lol and funny at a point! And I hate when she catches me doing it and she's like.. AHA! You see! Remember how you would always complain about me doing that?

Oh the irony in life! lol! Thank you for the prayers my friend! :o) I'm a little nervous, but I know I will be fine! God Bless!