Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Mini-Vacation

In my last post, I wrote that we were getting ready to go to my grandparents’ house. We finally made it down there Friday evening after a comedy of errors and disasters. Sometimes the things that happen to me are so bizarre that I just end up laughing. We stopped so the girls could go to vision therapy on the way out and my van broke down. It made a loud popping sound and then it made an awful whirring noise. Brandon said it best when he asked me how an airplane got in our van!

I did my best damsel in distress impersonation and Ronnie came to rescue us. He gave me his car for our trip and he took the van. He says that it’s the cooling fans that are malfunctioning. My grandparents’ house is over two hours away so there was no way that it would be safe to bring the van.

We made the trip fine. I was worried about construction and driving through New Orleans because I’m a total worrywart, but it went smoothly. We woke my grandparents up from their nap when we got down there. I fed the kids lunch ad then the madness began. As you can imagine, I’ve got tons of photos so be prepared!

I took a photo of their house from the levee. I love the red roof. They just put in a new porch that we’ve dubbed “the veranda”. You’ve got to love being a Southerner sometimes!

I snapped this portrait of Alexis under the grape vines next to the veranda. She had a blast blowing up balloons and popping them in the grass. She did that for an hour or so…

My grandpa took the three kids for a ride on the levee in his golf cart. They took turns driving and running over random things in the back yard. Brandon even ran over the slip ‘n slide. My grandparents took it all in stride. I love how laid back they are.

I also love my grandma’s garden. I took lots of photos of critters and plants. Here’s a shot of a bumblebee on a sunflower!

My kids were fascinated by this old shed in the woods. It’s right off of my grandparents’ property. My grandma made up a story about it being Little Red Riding Hood’s grandmother’s house. Jordan wanted to meet Red Riding Hood and we told her that she moved away after Hurricane Katrina damaged her grandma’s cottage. She knew we were making it up but she grinned like crazy. She enjoyed it!

Of course we had to climb up the levee to see the river! The kids are fascinated by it. Especially once they hear that I used to wade and swim in it as a child. Not that I’d let them because… as I said I’m a total worrywart!

Here’s a photo of the river. I wish that the trees weren’t so high in the batchery so we could see the river better.

The kids had to roll down the levee. Because we’re rednecks and that’s how we roll. Ha! It always makes me giggle to see them doing the same things I did when I was little.

After we climbed the levee, the kids played on the slip n’ slide that Maw Maw bought them.

Then they decided that painting themselves with colored bubbles was a lot more fun than blowing colored bubbles. Thank goodness it all washed off. Crazy kiddos!

After we ate dinner we fed and played with the goats! Here’s a photo of my grandmother and Rapunzel the goat. Jordan named her after she saw the movie “Tangled”. That’s my niece in the background.

Maw Maw wanted to show the kids the nest full of eggs that she found in her green bean plant the other day. When we went to check on the eggs we found baby birds! Aren’t they adorable?

We climbed the levee again as the sun set because I wanted to get a photo of the pretty pink sky. The sun was slowly sinking below the horizon and the kids were starting to wind down.

We brought them inside and bathed them to get the grass out of their hair. They all settled in the living room to watch a movie and Jordan got scared. She climbed up in my Mom’s lap and buried her head because she didn’t want to see the scary parts!

This post is getting too long so I’m going to stop here and make a second post about Saturday!

Plentiful Thank You

4 comments:

Carla said...

Looks like a wonderful time visiting family!

Michelle said...

We did plenty of rolling down hills too, as a kid. We also like to go down under the Wakota Bridge between Woodbury and So. St. Paul to walk along the levee. With the river really high, most times the boat launch is under. Rivers are still high here. We keep getting a ton of rain. On the way down to Julie's, the Minnesota river was still really high too. There were also corn fields that looked like rivers from recent storms.. be prepared for food to spike again. Love those little getaways! They are the best.

Just Jaime said...

I love it! It looks like you had so much fun! Great portrait of Alexis!

Sand and Sunshine said...

The bee on the flower is really amazing photography two thumbs up! Love the picture of the house, way cool.