Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

I’m always proud to be an American, but the 4th of July celebrations really remind me how very lucky I am to live here! Jordan asked why we celebrate the 4th of July and I explained to her about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. They were rather stunned that the 4th of July isn’t just about fireworks. That definitely made me question what they’re teaching my kids in school. Good grief!

We went shopping for fireworks yesterday and the kids had a blast. (Ha!) Jordan didn’t want any loud fireworks because her sensory issues make it overwhelming for her. We picked up the standard goodies for kids: tanks, tugboats, parachute men, sparklers, and smoke bombs. Okay, I lied. The smoke bombs were for me!

I love the action that I used on the photo above. The colors were so glaring but now they are all soft and pretty! I wish I would’ve gotten a closer photo of Alexis’ hair. I spent an hour braiding it with red, white, and blue rubber bands and then I pulled it into pig tails. When we went to check out and the cashier told Ronnie that our fireworks were $44.00 Jordan piped up and said, “That’s expensive!” Thankfully the cashier had a sense of humor. She just leaned down and said, “Yes, it is!”

At one point, Jordan decided that one of the rockets was entirely too loud and she kept covering her ears. She didn’t want Ronnie to light any more. Eventually she calmed down, but for a while we thought that we weren’t going to be able to pop anymore.

The sparklers were definitely a hit! I think they liked those more than anything else. Ronnie had to stand there and spot them so they wouldn’t wave them around too much. I’m proud to report that no one lost an eye!

I never get pretty photos of fireworks. I’m always more worried about getting the kids in the photo than about the artistic side of the photos. I thought this one turned out pretty cool though!

We had more fireworks, but the mosquitos chased us inside. They were so thick you could hear them whining by your ears! That’s one of the downsides of living here in the South. We’ll do the rest tomorrow after we slather ourselves in bug spray.

I have a few layouts to share!

1. You Are The Best Thing That’s Ever Been Mine

My daughter loves this Taylor Swift song and "Mine" is her nickname so I thought the title would be perfect on a layout about her.

Journaling: October 2009-My baby girl, I can't believe how quickly you are growing up. You will always be my "Mine".

I used the anniversary kit that I won from Sweet Peach Crop Shop to create this layout. I added Stickles, Flowers, and the Pink Paislee glittery alpha. I also used twine from The Twinery.

2. Play Date

We played "Pass The Layout" on the Ideas For Scrapbookers blog and I lifted Pammy's layout. This is my take! If you want to check out all of the different layouts please go here...

http://ideasforscrapbookers.blogspot.com/2011/07/friday-special-pass-layout-game.html

I used my Scraptastic Club kit called "Classic Girl" as well as the add on to create this layout. I also used my iRock and my iTop. Gotta love those Imaginisce tools!

Today I’m making corn on the cob and I hear that hot dogs are on the menu too. Then later on we’re going to make s’mores and pop the rest of our fireworks. Apparently we’re celebrating Independence weekend! The little kids are really happy that Ronnie is home from work. Which reminds me, I should go spend time with everyone while I can.

Plentiful Thank You

7 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

Happy 4th! I LOVE both the layouts- just love them. So gorgeous.

What were you thinking not taking a picture of the fancy braided hair?! And you call yourself a scrapbooker! ;)

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

Happy 4th! Looks like yall had a great time! I wanna see Alexis's hair...do it again!!!

Just Jaime said...

Sounds like fun! Love your layouts!

Paisley Petals said...

Love the layering on #1!

Moondust47 said...

Sounds like a good weekend was had! Yay! Those layouts are gorgeous. It seems you always have the perfect amount of embellishments. I haven't gotten that down yet. I always feel like my layouts are too plain. Love the way the photo at the fireworks place came out too! Have a great week!

Sand and Sunshine said...

Sounds like a great day

Amanda Sevall said...

Great photos, of course! I wanna see her hair too ;) LOL Looks like you enjoyed the holiday!! I need to post about mine... I didn't take enough pics!! ;)