Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It’s Raining, It’s Pouring!

For the past week we’ve been trying to cram as much fun as possible into what’s left of our Summer vacation. It hasn’t been as easy as you would think because we’ve been slammed with thunderstorms at least once a day.

On Saturday, Alexis and Jordan were supposed to ride their horses in the morning but they got rained out. The weather cleared up for a few hours in the afternoon. Ronnie and I jumped at the chance to take the kids outside for a ride on their bikes. I think he and I had cabin fever as much as the kids did. You don’t realize how much you love the sun until it disappears behind ominous clouds for a few days!

I made them all pose for a photo. They look so very thrilled to be sitting still. Not!

Alexis really should be off of her training wheels at 9 years old, but she’s such an anxious girl that we haven’t even tried it. She’s nervous WITH the training wheels and rides around and turns very slowly.

Jordan is also really nervous when she rides. Her balance issues make her feel like she’s falling. Recently I’ve started running next to her to get her to go a bit quicker. She actually likes it more when she goes faster. She forgets to worry!

Brandon is the opposite. He rides so fast it’s hard to get a clear photo of him. He turns on a dime, and he never wants to stop riding when it’s time to come in. He’s a little speed demon!

Remember me saying the rain has been unbelievable? This was our backyard early on Sunday morning. We had five inches of water along our back fence. Since the water was over the grass and there was no mud guess what I let the kids do?

I can remember the sheer joy of jumping in puddles as a child. Now, I know the joy of jumping through them with my kids as well. I find that much more amazing and fulfilling. Don’t worry. There are no photos of me jumping! Another reason it’s good to be the one BEHIND the camera.

Miss Lexie took a break from jumping to post for a photo. She had two good days this weekend. When she’s happy, it makes everything so much easier in our lives.

After a while, Brandon starting running back and forth along the back fence. He would make huge splashes. My favorite part was that he giggled the entire time.

I brought them all inside and gave them a bath before we headed out to visit my husband’s cousin for the first time in a few months.

The kids got to ride his horse in a drizzling rain. Thankfully, he understands that my girls are incredibly horse obsessed and he was willing to oblige.

The town that they live in is gorgeous and very rural. There are miles of open pastures and fenced ones. It’s lovely! Here’s Miss Jordan riding in her dress.

Brandon was interested in riding something different, but by that time it was raining too hard and he didn’t actually get to. He had fun pretending though.

After a while, the rain let up a bit so we let the kids swim in the pool. I don’t have permission to post photos of the kids’ cousins so I’ll only post the ones without them.

Alexis practiced swimming underwater after she borrowed a pair of goggles from the boys. She also spent half of the afternoon chasing Justin with a Nerf gun. There were Nerf bullets EVERYWHERE!

When Brandon saw the older cousins jumping off of the ladder, he decided he could do it too. Here he is shouting at everyone to “move out of his way”. Rotten child!

Even though it rained most of the weekend, we still managed to have a really good time. The kids spent Monday catching up on their Summer reading minutes so they can get their prizes this Thursday. We are trying to wrap everything up so we can focus on getting ready for school. Tomorrow I have to go register Brandon for pre-k. I am so not ready for him to go but the speech therapist thinks it will help. I’m secretly hoping that he won’t get in. I’m not ready for my last baby to go to school yet!

Wood Grain Thank you

7 comments:

Moondust47 said...

Wow!! You have definetely been packing in the fun! Good for you! Glad to see someone else admit they are ready for their baby to leave the nest. I have one more year before Pre-K and am dreading it. I have to go back to work in a few weeks since school is starting and the thought of leaving my little man is killing me. This summer has been blessed. Enjoy your last days of freedom!

Paisley Petals said...

Your cousin's place looks AMAZING! So pretty.

Just think of how much more time you will have to scrap with your son at pre-K! ;)

Just Jaime said...

That is a LOT of rain! I loved to jump in puddles too!

Glad Alexis had two good days =)

Cindy deRosier said...

I cannot believe that picture of the lake in your backyard. Seriously, I can't believe it! That is unreal. If I didn't know it was July, I'd think you were playing an April Fools joke on us! I'm assuming this amount of rain is abnormal?! Good grief!

Michelle said...

We have gotten sacked with the rain up here too. Our yard has a culvert in the back and that fills up. My kids love jumping in puddles and playing in the rain in the summer. So nice on a hot, humid day! Funny seeing Brandon's bike! :) Ben has a McQueen bike but the next size up. Boys and their Disney Cars!! LOL We are trying to enjoy our last month of school break! I am dreading the end of summer. We have had fun.. haven't done much, but still had fun.

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

that is so much rain! omg....that is more than we get in a year! lol sounds like yall have been busy.

Amanda Sevall said...

What a puddle! I would have loved to jump in that as a kid! :) What a great post of photos - can't wait to see ya scrap them!! :)