Friday, September 23, 2011

Answered Prayers

Many of you know that Alexis has been struggling a lot in the past few months. I’m really happy to say that we finally have her medication adjusted to a level where she is happier and things are just starting to return to “normal” in our home. Thank God!

DSC07745

Speaking of God, I’ll admit that I wondered why my prayers were going unanswered on her behalf. Looking back over the past few weeks, I can definitely see how God has intervened. I’m not good at being patient, especially when my children are hurting. Usually it takes things being resolved before I calm down enough to see how he’s worked behind the scenes to push us toward a resolution.

A few weeks ago, I just happened to look on the parish (county) website to check road closures. On the right side of the page I saw an announcement for a class on advocating for a mentally ill child. I’m always looking for information so I called the the next day. I was just in time.

The NAMI class has been a blessing to me. A lot of the information I’ve gotten along this journey has been pieced together. There was no ONE place I could go for information about all of Alexis’ diagnosis. One day after the second class I happened to look in the extended resource section. I came across a little blurb on bipolar disorder that stated that “children with bipolar disorder should never be given a stimulant and an antidepressant medication at the same time because it can cause psychotic episodes”. A little light bulb went on, and I did a lot more research.

I checked Alexis’ medication and sure enough, she was on both. At her next psychiatrist appointment I was educated enough to ask the psychiatrist why he had prescribed those two medications together. He stated that he didn’t have her diagnosed as bipolar disorder, only as a “mood disorder”. In my opinion, he was splitting hairs. (Her previous psychiatrist diagnosed her with early-onset bipolar disorder at five.) Since Alexis had never been on a mood stabilizer medication, I asked that she be put on one. The first day she was on it things were a little bit better.

The second day she didn’t have a single tantrum or mood swing. She was like a different child. I saw her happy and smiling. She even came up to me and said, “Momma, I feel good!” I am hoping and praying that this medication is the solution that we’ve been praying for.

I can’t help but think that if I didn’t happen to go on that website and glance to the side… if I didn’t read the additional resources and find that little blurb… I think that life is a lot more than a series of random consequences. I have to hope and I have to keep believing.

Wood Grain Thank you

12 comments:

Just Jaime said...

NAMI is a God-send. I'm so thankful that you read that little blurb. What a blessing. I pray Alexis continues to improve.

Other resources may be found by calling 211. It is a free resource provided by United Way.

Cindy deRosier said...

Life would certainly be easier if God solved our problems for us (or kept us problem-free), but instead He chose to lead you to the solution. I'm so happy for all of you and hope that this marks the end of the problems. A lesser mom might have given up or taken an easier route- your strength and commitment to being an advocate for your children is simply awesome.

Cindy - FL said...

I was so happy to read your post. I have tears of joy for Alexis and your family. I wish you all the best!

Pam Callaghan said...

What an answer to prayer! You are such an amazing mom - your kids are lucky to have someone so proactive and loving!

Michelle said...

This is such good news!!!! I have been thinking of Lexie and the rest of you. She has really been on my mind a lot lately. I hope she is doing much better and feeling much better. Hoping that things stay going well like this!!!

Cindy Gay said...

Very good my friend!

Moondust47 said...

I couldn't be happier for you and Alexis!! Thank you for posting this information. I did not know this either and as a counselor I cross paths with hundreds of children and who knows if this little knowledge I just gained may help another child I encounter. Thank you for putting yourself out there every day in this blog world!

Nancy aka Homesclscrapper said...

So glad that things are going much better. I will continue to pray for you and be there when you need. hugs.

Paisley Petals said...

Wonderful news! I bet you felt wonderful to hear how good she was feeling :-)

Mitralee said...

Got goose bumps when I read that! Really really hoping for you!

Sand and Sunshine said...

Every little step big and small. I love the "I feel good" comment by Alexis that is very precious. Take care.

KrissyClarkMcKee said...

I have been following Alexis' story and yours for awhile now and am so thankful to read you have been able to find information that seems to have led to a positive step forward. God is good!