Tuesday, October 4, 2011

In Memory Of The Best Dog EVER!

I’ve been a bit MIA lately. Last Monday, Lady developed congestive heart failure. Ronnie and I brought her to the vet right away and he gave her diuretics and antibiotics. He said that if the medicine didn’t work we would be looking at having to put her to sleep.

Lady watching over Jordan while she sleeps. 11-04

The medicine didn’t work and she was suffering more each day. I called the veterinarian back on Friday and we made the incredibly hard decision to make an appointment on Saturday to put her to sleep.

DSC00008

We spent as much time as we possibly could with her on Friday and Saturday. Ronnie and I explained to the kids what was going to happen. We kept it as simple as possible and we told them that Lady was dying, but the vet was going to give her some medicine to make her not hurt when she died.

DSC00117

Ronnie took her in on Saturday morning and they put her to sleep. He stayed with her and I was so relieved to hear that the procedure went quickly. He said she put her head down after she got the shot and it was over. I am so thankful that he took her. I honestly don’t think I could’ve handled it.

DSC00159 copy

She was such a good dog. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss her incredibly. She was our first baby. When Ronnie and I were dealing with failed infertility treatments she was there. She helped us welcome our babies. She was always worried about what the kids were doing. If they would cry, she would run from room to room looking for me. (We’d meet in the hallway and she’d look at me like “Hello! The baby is crying again!”)

DSC00030

She was a member of our family and we all feel like a piece of our hearts is missing. Seeing the kids say goodbye to her Friday night and Saturday morning was heartbreaking. Jordan made a video of saying goodbye to Lady that left me sobbing.

I will miss her snorting and snuffling pug breath. I miss listening to her clicking toenails on the tile and hearing to her beg for people food under the table. I desperately miss her raspy kisses and even miss cleaning her hair off of the floor.

In the end we couldn’t even hold her in our arms because it caused her distress. I put her in the wagon with the kids on Saturday morning so we could get a few photos before Ronnie took her to the vet. We kissed and cuddled her and cried. She was so loved and I hope that my kids never forget how much she loved them back!

She was nearly eleven years old. Her birthday would’ve been on Christmas day. We were so very lucky to have had her in our lives. She was a blessing and I miss her beyond words!

Wood Grain Thank you

10 comments:

Agnes said...

Oh Heather. A big big hug.

Just Jaime said...

So sorry for your puppy loss =(

Cindy deRosier said...

So so sorry for your loss.

Sand and Sunshine said...

Darling Princess Lady with her BuddaBelly. You certainly had some wonderful goodbye moments with her and I know you will all cherish those. Take care, and hugs all around.

Julie W said...

This made me cry!!!!! So sorry she's gone, but I know she's having a field day somewhere over that rainbow where there's limitless table food and maybe some squirrels. *hugs*

Cindy Gay said...

Oh Heather. I'm so sorry. You were great "people" (parents) to this sweet dog like she was to you and your children.

Crystal said...

Sorry for you loss....we too just put down our little cocker of 13yrs and when you said your comments about the toenails it reminded me. It has not even been 2 months, but I can now sleep at night...it was hard, kind of like something wasn't being done each night as my routines also changed. Our family also had a couple days to say our goodbyes and give her extra love. She was going to need an eye removed and with liver and kidney issues, she likely would have not made it through......
I will pray for you all as you go about your life changes w/o your little sweetie :) I just got back a journal page from my daughter's 2nd grade classwork....it talked about the day we buried her, you don't think the kids still think about it, but they do. Keeping you again in our thoughts.
Crystal

Paisley Petals said...

I am so sorry for you loss :-( Such a well written post. {{hugs}} to you and your family.

Heather Landry said...

Thank you so much everyone! Crystal, I am so very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your story and for letting me know that it does get a little better with time.

Mitralee said...

Was thinking of you when I posted my blog today. I still miss Frank, my westie that we lost in August of last year. I didn't know really what to say except that it does get easier. He loved eating apple pieces so I have been thinking about him alot this fall as we harvest them.