Thursday, October 20, 2011

Where Did Fall Go?

When I woke up this morning the temperature was in the 40’s and we had frost on the ground! I was a bit shocked because it’s not even November yet. The weather this year has definitely been wacky! It makes me wonder if we’ll be in for more snow.

At our house, we’ve been trying to cram in as many Fall activities as possible. We get invited to a lot of different things with three kids because each kid has a different set of activities and friends. I’m having a hard time keeping up with the schedule. Maybe I should hire a driver?

One nice thing about the weather lately is the fact that we’ve been  able to have more picnics. It’s the perfect temperature most days. Not too hot, but not unbearably cold yet either.

My favorite part of having picnics is that Ronnie barbeques and that means I don’t have to cook!

Recently, Jordan was invited to a Fall Festival for special needs children at a local church. Brandon came along because everyone knows you can’t separate the peas from the carrots. (That’s our little saying, we stole it from Forrest Gump.) They won’t go anywhere without each other.

They have an amazing program for special needs children and she found visiting with the other kids particularly valuable. She’s in a stage right now where she’s very angry and frustrated with the fact that she has cerebral palsy. I thought that letting her know she’s not the only one dealing with special needs might help and it really seemed like it did.

She was really thrilled that there was a hay ride that she could wheel her chair onto. We watched the sun setting as we rolled around. It was a lovely night!

The next day Alexis finally got to wash her horse. She’s been begging to wash Cody since she started riding for therapy months ago. She got soaking wet full of dirt and mud, but it was totally worth it because she smiled from ear to ear the entire time. At one point, she even kissed him on the nose. It was really sweet to watch her interact with him.

Alexis had therapy on Monday morning and she had to get her blood drawn for a medication check. After she finished the blood draw, since she already had her excuse note from the therapist… I let her ditch school. She and I drove to the Northlake Nature Preserve in Mandeville. We walked through the grounds and enjoyed a beautiful day. The scenery was so pretty and the sky was so blue that it almost looked fake.

DSC06312

We saw bees, a caterpillar, a crane, and even a water moccasin. The water moccasin was a bit too much nature for my taste. I could’ve gone without that part! Alexis looked for opportunities to sit and pose for photos.

DSC06308

The posed photos all came out really cute but this one is my favorite. The lighting in the trees, the sassy hands on her hips pose, and seeing her check everything out. Plus, she just looks so grown up. I miss her being bitsy!

DSC06359

I don’t have a single scrapbook page to share so far this week. Life has  just been too busy! I volunteered for a bunch of stuff at the beginning of the school year and it’s all coming up at once. Plus, Brandon has a lovely stomach virus again and Jordan is just getting over a kidney infection. Anyone know where I can buy bubbles to put my kids in?

Oh and before I forget… I’m LOVING my new iPhone. You’ll be seeing lots of square photos in the near future. (Nancy, Don’t look too closely at the photo. Ronnie “cooked” dinner last night so I could go to class! LOL)

IMG_0016

P.S. Guess who is  hosting this week’s challenge at Scraptastic Club? Me! Click here to check it out. Jessica is giving away an AMAZING prize. (Two Echo Park collections!)

Wood Grain Thank you

5 comments:

Just Jaime said...

Looks like so much fun. So glad that Jordan got to enjoy something like that! I'm all for skipping school =)

Cindy Gay said...

Especially great picture of Alexis posing. All the family members look happy. Where are you?

Heather Landry said...

Cindy, I'm always behind the camera! LOL

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

Ronnie is an awesome cook! Did he eat his own cooking? Love all the photos, glad you and Lexi enjoyed nature and Alexis enjoyed washing her horse. Hooray for good weather. A special hay ride for J! Woo hoo!!! Life is good!

Sand and Sunshine said...

Yikes gal, if I wasn't already tired from cleaning, I'd be tired reading about your post!

Your DH cooked, now that's my kind of cooking there. There's just something about those Mickey D's fries!

What kind of class are you taking?