Sunday, January 29, 2012

Monstrous Fun!

A few months ago, I saw a commercial for a monster truck show that was coming to New Orleans. I thought that Brandon would be really thrilled by seeing monster trucks jumping and smashing everything. After all, he is a boy! I also knew my biggest boy (AKA husband) would enjoy it.

They all had a good time, but Jordan surprised us by having an absolutely fantastic time. It was so out of character for her because she has sensory issues that make her sensitive to loud noises. We had her wear huge protective headphones, and it still took her a little bit to get used to the noise. She ended up crying for a minute until the announcer said that we were being recorded for the Speed Channel. She decided that “Her friends couldn’t see her cry on camera if they watched the monster truck show.” and she quit fussing that second. Once she calmed down, she really enjoyed the show.

Alexis didn’t say much of anything the entire time. Her eyes got really big, and she just stared. When I asked her if she was having fun, she grinned this BIG.

The hit of the night was the Robosaurus. It’s a gigantic dinosaur robot that “eats” old cars. Ronnie wasn’t impressed, but we thought it was really neat. Jordan is fascinated with dinosaurs so this part of the event was right up her alley.

We didn’t get home until 11:00 PM but it was definitely worth it. I was so glad that we all had a good night out as a family. It had been a while since we did anything fun like that.

Of course, I have a few scrapbook-related things to share before I go. I completed a few more projects with the Scraptastic Club Button Box kit and add on. I was totally obsessed with using every last scrap of this kit because I loved it so much. After I finished making the first few layouts, I used the leftover scraps and embellies to squeak out one more layout that used up tiny scraps. I also made seven cards. (I did add one piece of red cardstock and a few red gems when I created the cards.)

Before I created this page, I searched the web for sketches that used tiny bits of paper. I found an amazing one in the latest PageMaps release that inspired me. This is the layout I came up with. I used some older photos of Brandon. I loved how well the flags in the kit worked as banners to hang from my twine.

I also made two sets of cards. I used two different color palettes when I designed them. The first set closely matches the layouts that I made with the kit. They are all misted with the mist that Jessica included as the extra goodie this month. All three of these cards were inspired by Studio Calico sketches, I've said it before... They have amazing sketches on their blog.

On this next set, I pulled a sheet of red cardstock from my stash because I really liked the small red dashes that ran through the striped paper. I thought that adding the red cardstock would really make those pop, and it worked!

I hope that I inspired you to use more of your scraps! I have more projects to share tomorrow, and I have a sketch/template freebie to share on Tuesday. It’s going to be a busy blog week!

Wood Grain Thank you

8 comments:

Veronica said...

I am so glad your kids, including the BIG kid, enjoyed the Monster Truck show. I know a few ppl that went!
I simply ADORE the LO with the banner!!! Can't wait for the sketch! Have a GREAT week.

Agnes said...

Ah they all had fun and they look so happy :-)

mustangkayla said...

What a fun family outing! As always, LOVE your cards and layout! I pinned that sketch too, its very cute!

Chicken said...

I agree, the red carstock looks fantastic with the patterned paper! Glad to hear your kids had a great time.

Sharon said...

Heather! Looks like such a great time! I am happy that the biggest kid had fun, too!!!! LOL! I love your latest layouts, too. TFS!

Cindy deRosier said...

Looks like you all had a great time! Love your projects- especially the red set!!

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

glad you all had a good time. love the new projects.

Just Jaime said...

So glad the whole family liked it! That robotosaurus looks cool!