Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Mardi Gras!

***To my email subscribers, I’m really sorry if  you got this post twice. Blogger hiccupped and ate my first post!!

We really haven’t done much to celebrate Mardi Gras today. I offered to make jambalaya so we would at least have a nice Southern dinner but the kids vetoed it! Instead, they wanted tuna fish out of a can. I swear, I can’t do a thing with them!

Recently, Miss Jordan saw a commercial for St. Jude and we ended up talking about why some of the little girls in the video were bald.

When we talked about cancer and chemotherapy she asked what she could do to help. I told her that they did have a charity called “Locks Of Love” that makes wigs out of donated hair. As soon as she heard that, she started talking about donating her hair!

I took her to Supercuts because I knew they had a program that would mail the hair to Locks of Love. They cut NINE inches of hair off of my sweet girl. She asked the hairstylist to take as much as of her hair as she could to donate.

We had an impromptu photo shoot in the backyard after we got home. She looks a lot older and more sophisticated with her new hair cut. Doesn’t her zebra jacket totally fit her sassy little personality? I certainly think so!

Valentine’s day came and went very quickly around here. I got the kids to write their cards the weekend before because we always seem to end up doing it at the very last minute.  Alexis was thrilled with her Hello Kitty valentine cards.

Jordan begged for SpongeBob valentine cards. I love how she marches to the beat of her own drum. She said some of the other kids asked her why she had “boy” valentines. She told them that she liked SpongeBob and that was that!

I originally bought Brandon some Thomas cards, but when he saw Jordan’s SpongeBob cards he just had to have those! Since I’m the best Mom in the world, I went back to the store and bought him some. Rotten child!

I have a few layouts to share before I go today! ( I know. You’re so not surprised. Right?)

1: Volunteer

20HeatherLandryVolunteerWEB

I took Alexis with me to volunteer for her hippotherapy organization one weekend in December. It was freezing, but the fundraiser went really well. The hit of the event was having your horses' photo taken with Santa. The big photo is of Alexis with her therapy horse Kody.

Supplies:
It's a Start Templates Set 8
4EVER (Collab Mini Kit)
4ever (Collab Mini Kit)
4Ever (Collab Mini Kit)
4Ever (Collab Mini Kit)
4Ever Mini Kit

2: Birthday Boy

BirthdayBoyHeatherLandry

I was inspired to scrap this page because of the letter "G" prompt at Scrapbookers Anonymous. My G themed things are "gifts" and "girls". I used an older Scraptastic Club kit called Birthday Bash to create this page. I love being able to go back and finish up tiny little scraps in older kits! It gives me such a sense of accomplishment.

I scraplifted Cindy Tobey's "Hanging With My Peeps" layout from page 71 of the July/August 2011 Creating Keepsakes magazine. Of course, I went off on my own tangent as usual.

3. Surprise! Card

HeatherLandrySurpriseCardWEB

This card is a total blatant lift of Julie Bonner's awesome card that she made for the most recent CHA release. She used Jillibean Soup, but I had still had a few more Imaginisce Birthday Bash scraps leftover from that older Scraptastic Club kit. It never hurts to have an extra birthday card on hand!

Wood Grain Thank you

8 comments:

Just Jaime said...

How sweet of Jordan to donate her hair! I love the Birthday Boy layout so much I pinned it.

Cindy deRosier said...

I LOVE that Birthday Boy layout. And Jordan's short hair looks so cute!!

mustangkayla said...

Love the cute new haircut! Cute jacket! Love your layouts and cards too!

Veronica said...

Yeah, Mardi Gras was a working day for me! No fun over here! ;)
Haircut is precious and how SWEET that she wanted to donate! Makes my heart happy.
Layouts are adorable. As usual. LOL

Sharon said...

That was so sweet of Jordan! I want Anne to do that now, too - her hair is sooooooooo long! I hope you all had a happy V-Day - Alexis looks so cute working on her valentines. I love that amazing layout, too!

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

great projects, your kids are adorable.

Jojorenee said...

Good for Jordan! She looks like a little stylish lady now!

Joy said...

Tell Jordan that I think it is wonderful that she donated to Locks of Love. I have donated to Beautiful Lengths an organization that provides wigs for women going through chemo.

Tell Jordan my mom loves SpongeBob and I even gave her a large SpongeBob Pail filled with Jelly Beans.