Saturday, April 21, 2012

32 in 32 (The Eggplant Update)

I wasted no time working on my 32 in 32 list. On the 11th, I went out and bought my first eggplant. I had to ask the guy at the veggie stand to show me how to know if it was ripe. In case you’re wondering, “The eggplant should feel squishy and it should spring back when you touch it.” “It should also feel heavy in your hand, and it’s preferable to pick an eggplant that still has the root cap in place.”

I asked all of my friends for recipes and advice on cooking eggplant. I was told to salt and soak my eggplant to get rid of the bitter taste. I made sure to do that. Several friends recommended recipes but a lot of them were fried. I don’t like fried food much, so I went on a search for an appealing recipe online. I found this one

I followed all of the recipe instructions and this is a photo of the finished eggplant. I must say that I found the smell and feel of the eggplant unappealing while I was preparing it. I tried to keep an open mind, and when it was finished cooking I served it and took a photo.

IMG_0719

I think this recipe was too spicy for my taste. That’s saying a lot because I LIKE spicy food. I liked the slight bit of crispiness, but when I bit into the eggplant it was too mushy and rather slimy. I also really, really didn’t like the seeds. I’m proud of myself for trying eggplant, but I don’t think it’ll make it’s way into my regular veggie rotation.

P.S. The kids didn’t like it either. Ronnie wouldn’t even try it. He said it looked gross.

Wood Grain Thank you

8 comments:

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

i agree with ronnie...eggplant is gross...unless it is deep fried, and then it is gross cause it is deep fried.

Kimberly said...

oh my goodness... that made me laugh. I can just see you all making funny faces and poking at the eggplant. It actually tastes better cooked in things... like lasagna :) yummm

Mitra Pratt said...

oh Heather, too funny!

Cindy deRosier said...

Good for you for trying again! I can't imagine plain eggplant coated in cayenne- I can't believe anyone would like that. And eggplant should be creamy, not slimy. Maybe the third time's a charm? ;)

Gine said...

I love eggplant, but never cooked it myself

Love your blog, so many great pages and posts =)

Have an awesome week and thanks for the kind comments on my blog

Just Jaime said...

Good for you for keeping an open mind and trying new things. I don't loooooooove eggplant either

Sand and Sunshine said...

Oh geez, when the daddy wont try it because it looks gross you've got trouble on your hands. Sounds like a "lets order delivery" night.

Spice wont fix everything. I tried to spice up some canned asparagus with leftover hot wings + extra hot sauce and it didn't work. I think the problem was the word "canned."

Melissa said...

Your post made me laugh! I love eggplant - we cut it into thick slices, coat it in olive oil and throw it on the grill.