Sunday, April 29, 2012

32 in 32 (Mother’s Restaurant)

#23 on my 32 in 32 list was to eat at a new restaurant. Ronnie used to work in Downtown New Orleans, and he has absolutely RAVED about Mother’s Restaurant for years. It was even featured on the Man Vs. Food New Orleans episode. (We’ve been to every place on that episode now!)

On April 19th, we had a field trip to chaperone Jordan’s class at the Aquarium of the Americas, and as soon as the buses left we made our way to Mother’s.

Do you know the first sign of an amazing restaurant? A line of at least 20 people waiting to get in the place to order. It was HOT outside too! I even asked Ronnie if he was sure it was going to be worth waiting that long. He adamantly said that it would be more than worth the wait.

We ordered two po’boys so we could share. I ordered the debris po’boy recommended by the Man Vs. Food show. (Debris is the the roast beef that falls into the gravy while baking in the oven.) I asked that my sandwich be dressed and that means that they added fresh shredded cabbage, pickles, mayo, Creole and yellow mustard. “Dressed” means different things at different restaurants. At another local place, dressed means adding tomatoes, mayonnaise, and iceberg lettuce. (That’s what I was expecting.) Mother’s was the first place I’d ever had cabbage on a sandwich. It was surprisingly good! Definitely more crispy and flavorful than iceberg lettuce. I didn’t like the mustard much. I’m not a huge mustard fan but the debris po’boy was still really, really good. It even came with gravy to dip the sandwich in. Yummy!

The debris po’boy was good, but the shrimp po’boy was even better. The shrimp were HUGE, perfectly seasoned, and hot. It also had cabbage, but it was dressed with mayo instead of mustard. That definitely made me happy! The verdict: Seriously, if you’re ever in the New Orleans area. Mother’s is TOTALLY worth the wait. I’m craving another po’boy right this minute!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. My new freebie template will be available to download on the 30th, so stick around!

Wood Grain Thank you

11 comments:

Mitra Pratt said...

So fun! Sounds DELISH!

mustangkayla said...

How fun! I'm glad you were able to complete another one of your 32 in 32's!

janet said...

32 in 32...i love it! Glad you got to check one off the list!!

janet said...

32 in 32...i love it! glad you got to check one off!

Veronica said...

Every single time I pass that place, THERE. IS. ALWAYS. A. LINE! Early too! about 11 a.m.! Haven't been yet. Plan to! Glad you got to go!

Cindy deRosier said...

Congrats on another item checked off the list!

Izzy Anderson said...

I love New Orleans. You really can find the best food there. Your description of your po boys has me hungry for one, even now at 7 am! What a fun way to celebrate your birthday year. :)

Just Jaime said...

Yum!! Looks like an adventure =) I have a list just like this and it's so fun. I just did one of mine: Visit an old time candy shop. It was so fun!

Jojorenee said...

Looks yummy!

Sand and Sunshine said...

What fun. I adore finding great new restaurants.

Sharon said...

Mmmmmmmmm Heather! These BOTH look yummy! Thanks for sharing the awesome po-boys with us! Glad you waited in the line!!!!!