Sunday, May 27, 2012

Unexpected Surprise

I'd like to wish you all a Happy Memorial Day tomorrow! While you're enjoying the extra day off, don't forget to thank a veteran or active serviceman/woman for their service to our country.

It’s time to share my latest Scraptastic Club layout and I'm going to mix things up today. I decided to use my Weathered Spring kit to scrap a snowy Winter photo. I wanted to inspire everyone to think outside of the box with their themed kits. Just because a kit includes Spring colors or embellishments, doesn't mean it won't work for something else.

UnexpectedSurpriseHeatherLandryWEB

My design on this page was inspired by Vivian Masket's layout in the June 2012 issue of Scrapbooks Etc! magazine. Her layout was Spring themed and that was the direction I originally planned to go with my lift. That was until I found this photo and thought, "Hey... What if I make a Winter page with the Spring kit?" The only thing I added to the kit was a few rub on snowflakes. The snowflakes helped the Weathered Spring kit work perfectly for my snowy photo.

DSC09363

This is a closer look at the title work. The entire design on this page is clean and simple. I love the tiny little polka dot pattern on the letters. It adds and unexpected bit of interest to an otherwise simple design.

DSC09361

My favorite aspect of this page is the way I was able to lift the banner that Vivian used. The Lily Bee banner stickers worked really well to form this colorful, fun page element. To finish the layout, I made sure that I used yellow gems in the center of all of the snowflakes to unify them on my page.

DSC09359

We’ve been crazy busy this weekend. I’ve been working on MORE projects with the June Scraptastic Club kit. I am glad I get another day off with Ronnie tomorrow. We’re gearing up for Alexis to start Summer school in a few days. I’m going to have to drive her to and from school every single day for a month. There will be no sleeping in for us! All because she failed the 4th grade LEAP test by three measly points. She was so disappointed. I’m really hoping that the LEAP remediation and the IEP accommodations that were put in place help her pass. If not, she’ll have to repeat 4th grade. We’re all trying very hard not to freak out at that prospect.

Wood Grain Thank you

10 comments:

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

love the design. thanks for sharing

Alison said...

Oh Heather, I hope not! Having to repeat a grade at her age is going to be mortifying!!! Hopefully summer school helps. Great idea to use a spring theme kit and make it into something wintery. It worked perfectly, and your design is beautiful! i heart it :)

Cindy deRosier said...

Wow- I'd never have guessed that was a spring-themed kit. It works perfectly for winter! Awesome!

Just Jaime said...

Love the design! The title work is so clean and straight (very impressive for this girl who can't seem to make anything straight!) I pinned this for later!!

Nichole Koch said...

Beautiful Layout! I love the colors and how you used the banner :)

April said...

LOVE this layout Heather! Sending good thoughts and prayers your way for Alexis...

Mitra Pratt said...

delightful! nice to see snow when it's hot here!

Linda Jordan said...

Gorgeous layout!! I love those colors on a winter page. And good luck to Alexis!!

Linda

Linda Jordan said...

Gorgeous layout!! I love those colors on a winter page. And good luck to Alexis!!

Linda

Izzy Anderson said...

Love this design and page. It really turned out perfectly for a winter theme! The title work looks great.