Sunday, May 6, 2012

Walk With Me

I hope you all had a wonderful National Scrapbook Day. I didn't get much scrapping done this weekend because I walked my first marathon with my family. We raised a good bit of money for Easter Seals! Jordan was an Easter Seals ambassador for the walk. She loved rolling around and talking to people. I look like a complete goofball in this photo, but here I am in all of my sweaty glory. Ha!

We got to meet Boudreaux the nutria. (The mascot for the Zephyrs baseball team in New Orleans.) Yes, I’m well aware that a nutria is a weird mascot, but this IS Louisiana after all. Alexis and Jordan really liked him, but Brandon would have nothing to do with any of it.

We also met a very special horse named Molly. She is a lovely pony with an amazing story. Jordan was fascinated by the fact that she had a prosthetic leg. She was attacked by a pit bull after Katrina and they weren’t able to save her leg. Jordan had to visit her 3 or 4 different times just to say hello and we were pleasantly surprised when we were interviewed by a video crew. They were making a documentary about service animals.

The walk was too long for Brandon so we brought the wagon and Ronnie’s Dad helped pull him around. He was the water bottle babysitter too. He kept passing them to us when we needed them. Such a sweet boy!

We all had a great time! We drove back home and I was able to enter two NSBD challenges before it was time to get ready for church. I didn’t end up winning any of the challenges, but it was fun to be able to play a bit.

Now that NSBD is out of the way, it's time to focus on Mother's Day! You all remembered that it's this coming Sunday right? I was a very good girl this year. I used my scraps from the Weathered Spring kit and add on to create cards for my Mom and grandma.

WeatheredSpringCardsHeatherLandryWEB

I fussy cut the chevron paper on the first card, and I stamped little tiny butterflies on some of the polka dots in the patterned paper. I also stamped part of the sentiment with one of the word stamps in the stamp add on.

On the second card, I used another rosette. I'm really getting the hang of making them. Especially since I figured out that using hot glue really gets the center to stay down. The little postage stamp shapes were cut using a die and my Cuttlebug.

I had quite a few scraps left, so I decided to be a complete overachiever and I made a Father's Day card for my grandfather as well. I used a wood grain embossing folder to add a bit more texture to the white cardstock. He's sure to love that because he's a man's man and he loves going out in the woods to hunt.

Wood Grain Thank you

9 comments:

Julie said...

You don't look like a goof ball!!!

Just Jaime said...

Looks like an awesome walk! Thanks for the card inspiration. I was just getting ready to make a card for my mom, but I always need help.

Alison said...

Heather, you're so CUTE!!! Your pic made me smile- and I love the story about Jordan and the pony. How sweet! BTW- loving your new bg too~

Cindy deRosier said...

Congrats on a very successful walk! A nutria is indeed a strange mascot. They don't seem like something that would strike fear in the hearts of the opposing team. :)

Love your cards!

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

fun, fun, fun! such cute cards too. love the colors.

Mitra Pratt said...

you don't look like a goofball, just happy to be out and about with the family! Love that 'lil horse, how neat! those cards are super sweet! rosettes rock!

April said...

Good for you on the walk Heather! I love great causes like this one. :)

LOVE the cards...

Katherine B said...

I agree with everybody...no goofball there...all for a great cause! Love the cards (grids and banner <3 )

A said...

That's a long walk!!! Gotta love Molly :-)))