Tuesday, July 3, 2012

32 in 32 Series: #3 and #13

Remember my 32 in 32 series? I’m still working on it! A few nights ago I tried spaghetti squash for the first time to fulfill item #3 on my list. I heard that the best way to eat spaghetti squash was to use it as a replacement for spaghetti noodles, so that’s how I prepared it.

IMG_1081

I followed the directions to cook my squash carefully. It ended up looking like spaghetti noodles, but the similarity ended rather quickly when I actually tasted it. Blech! I didn’t like the texture of the squash at all. It reminded me of severely overcooked, mealy spaghetti noodles. I just couldn’t eat it.

I’m not having a lot of success with the new foods that I’m trying during my 32 in 32 project. I’m doing a lot better with the new experiences category. I also crossed item #13 off of my list! The kids and I spent the day on the beach at Lake Pontchartrain last Friday.

IMG_0222

It was incredibly hot, but we still managed to have a good time. We brought the sand toys and they played in the sand for a long time. I got to experiment with my new camera. It’s just amazing!

Thank You copy

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Go for the butternut squash if you want to try squash. It is much better. I much prefer it to the spaghetti squash. I have them growing in my garden. I can send ya one! ;)

Mitra Pratt said...

oh no!!! I have a baby squash growing in the garden, hope I like it!! Love your beachy photos, expect I'll see them shortly with that new delish kit from Scraptastic!!

Mitra Pratt said...

And Michelle has a good point, butternut squash rocks!

Cindy deRosier said...

If the only way I'd ever tried spaghetti squash was as a pasta substitute, I'd hate it too! Yuck! Totally the wrong texture! I like it more in a casserole or a modified sloppy joe mix. I agree with the comment above that butternut squash is tastier than spaghetti squash. And I love acorn squash, stuffed with a wild rice stuffing.

Just Jaime said...

Not a squash fan myself, but good for you for trying!

Yay for the lake and your new camera.

Izzy Anderson said...

Oh, I love spaghetti squash. It's so much fun the way you shred it to look like noodles and I think it's delish. I like all kinds of squash. Butternut is my fave.

GREAT photo of the kids!

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

i don't like trying to pass one food off as another. squash is squash...cook it and prepare to eat it as squash. i like spaghetti squash with some lightly sauteed veg and italian seasonings. sounds like the beach was fun.