Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Are You Ready For Some Football?

My least favorite part of back to school has been scrambling to get three kids to finish their homework before football and cheer practice. We are not always successful. Alexis has been working really hard to stay caught up in school, and she brings home a ton of work every afternoon. Last night she had EIGHT different things to complete. I thought she might lose her mind. (I know I was about to!)

I ended up bringing Brandon to football practice while Ronnie stayed home with the girls so Alexis could finish. Needless to say, she wasn’t thrilled with having to stay home.

IMG_1233

Brandon did a wonderful job at last night’s practice. I didn’t realize how serious they would be about football at FIVE years old. People let me tell you they are NOT kidding around. One of our running backs weighs 74 pounds with pads on. To put that in perspective for you, Brandon is in the 98th percentile for height and he weighs 54 pounds. For his height, he’s a bit too thin. He looks positively anorexic next to the other kid.

The weight issue comes into play because they have to weigh in before they can play a game. The weight limit for running backs is 74 pounds with full equipment. They are actually making the child diet until Saturday so he can weigh in. If he weighs too much, he can’t run the ball. Apparently that would be disastrous for our team. Yikes!

IMG_1235

Here’s my sweaty, stinky, extremely happy boy after two hours of practice. That’s right… TWO HOURS! We left at 8:00 and I fed him dinner on the way home. He took a bath and crashed into bed at 9:00. It was really hard to get him out of bed this morning. He was exhausted.

IMG_1236

He is finally getting the whole football thing. At first, he wouldn’t tackle anyone. He’d just shove them a bit and then they would knock him over. He got hit VERY hard the first practice when they wore full pads.  As a result, he was scared for the remaining practices and he often came off crying. He didn’t want to quit, he was just worried. We kept reinforcing that if he knocked them down first he wouldn’t get smashed.

He’s a very quiet, gentle child and he just couldn’t work up being mad enough to actually tackle. I’m proud to say that last night he finally got it. He was knocking people over left and right. I guess if it’s him or them going down, it’s going to be them! I was so proud of my hardworking little man.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned that I signed Jordan up to cheer for him. She had her first practice on Monday and she did a great job. I heard her yelling over everyone else! She learned all of the cheers within the first few minutes. I was so proud. She’s going to look so cute in her little flippy skirt.

IMG_1234

Needless to say, I haven’t been getting much scrappy time in with all of the practices. It’s okay though. I’m still managing to keep up with my design team work.

I used the last scraps from my Scraptastic Club Noted kit and add on (SOLD OUT!) to create this card. The metal piece in the bottom right corner is a paper clip. I put epoxy dots in the middle of it to jazz it up a bit.

_MG_1549

I’ve also been catching up on Photoshop Friday pages. I'm running behind! I loved Jessica's Halloween page. This is my interpretation. The photo overlay technique was too cool! Full credits here.

The photo features my girls up on stage at the Boo Fest last year. Jordan has cerebral palsy and we were invited to attend a festival that benefits her CP doctor's charity.

BooFest2011HeatherLandryWEB

That’s all for today, but I’ll have a sketch post on the 15th so stick around.

Thank You copy

6 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

Wow. That's kind of scary how intense football is at age FIVE. Making a kid diet to make weigh-in? That's the stuff of eating disorders.

A said...

Love the photo of Brandon! He looks like he was born to do this :-)

Mitra Pratt said...

WOW, sports sure are different here!!!

LOVE your card, haven't even TOUCHED my new kit, so you are far ahead of me!! I am still working on last months!

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

told you! football is serious!

anyway....loves your card and the layout.

Sand and Sunshine said...

Serious Football. Geez I am so old school. We have a 7 o'clock date with getting ready for bedtime each night.

Wow J learned all the cheers that fast hu? Totally awesome.

This year my little darlin' wants to be a "nice" Vampire for Halloween. She is so lucky I don't just say, okay jeans and a t-shirt for you then.

Homework yuck. We have 1 1/2 hours worth of it every night, yuck, yuck, yuck. Though A deserves a round of applause for getting her work done each night.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow... that is intense about football...

I love love love love your card and your lo!!!! That photo on your lo is soooooooo cute cute cute!!!!!!