Monday, September 3, 2012

(Shingles) Blown Away

I haven’t had internet for a looong time this week due to Hurricane Isaac, and before that I was super swamped with things to do. You know what that means don’t you? HUGELY EPIC PHOTO UPDATE. It includes a photo that will have you shuddering at the end. I’m still having nightmares about it. Let’s get started!

Brandon had his first day of school about a week after the girls started. Of course, I just had to get some photos of the three of them together. How on Earth am I the mother of a Kindergartener? I mean seriously. Wasn’t he just born yesterday? Ugh.


In true wild child fashion… silly faces! Actually, this is a trick I use to get the photo I want. I have them make silly faces until they are all smiling and giggling then I have them look at me. So this photo was actually taken before the one above.


Isn’t he the cutest thing you’ve ever seen in your whole entire life? No? Well, fine. I know I’m biased, but a friend of mine says he looks like Dawson from Dawson’s Creek. Ronnie took offense to that and said Brandon would be more like Pacey. I say they are all nuts. He’s cuter than both of them put together!

5x7 Big

In other news, we finally got a new sink after dealing with a leaky kitchen sink for eight years. When we built our house, the sink was leaky and we called the builder out several times. They only fixed it enough to hold until our warranty was over. I finally got fed up with it and we bought a new sink. My Uncle Wyman came over to install it and we had a fun day bugging him and driving him to Lowes when he needed more parts.

I told Ronnie that since the sink looks so nice we’re going to have to start replacing some other stuff. He didn’t look thrilled with the idea. I was only half kidding. Don’t you think my kitchen needs a backsplash? I do!


Brandon and I went to a birthday party the next day. He has the sweetest little friends that he met through tee ball, and one of them had a birthday. We had a lot of fun hanging out, especially since I really like chatting with her Mom. It was an overcast, rainy day but that didn’t stop the kids from having a blast.

One of Brandon’s friends from tee ball actually ended up convincing him to start playing football. They are together in this photo. The arrow is pointing to Brandon and his friend is to the left of him in a black jersey. They were paired up for tackling drills and they like each other too much to knock each other over. They would halfheartedly shove at each other without really trying.


Brandon’s coaches really want him to get mad and start tackling, so they paired him with a much larger kid that played last year. I saw them make the change and just cringed. Sure enough, the next time the whistle blew the other kid flattened Brandon. He didn’t get up for a few seconds, and when he did I could see his little shoulder pads heaving. I knew he was crying, but if I would’ve gone out there I know he would’ve quit. The coach patted him on the back and talked to him. He quit crying and got back in the line.


I understood why the coach did it, but it took everything I had to keep from going out on the field to give him a hug. He did such a great job at the practice. Even though he got the wind knocked out of his sails, he kept going. Several other kids completely walked off the field and quit! One kid even yelled at his Mom that he was never going out there again. Not my little man. He’d come off to get his drink and he would run right back out.


At the end of practice, he was sweaty and disgustingly dirty. He was still smiling though. I swear, he’s such an amazing kid. I figured he would be exhausted after two hours of practice, but he was chattering excitedly about the things he learned. If I thought he wasn’t enjoying football, I’d pull him out in a minute but the photo below tells a different story. Tired but happy!


This past week we’ve had an interesting few days to say the least. Hurricane Issac paid us a very wet, windy visit. He was not welcome in the least, but he showed up anyway. We weren’t affected as much as some others in our area. Please pray for the people who had their houses flood AGAIN! Because the storm stayed over us so long, levees broke and overtopped near where I grew up and many people had to be rescued again.


We braced for the storm the day before by tying everything down and shoving all of it into the corner of our carport. The kids looked at us like we’d lost our minds.


I took this video just to show you all how the wind was whipping. This was before the storm made full landfall. It got really bad at some points on the first day.

Hurricane Isaac in Covington, La.

I kept everyone posted on how we were doing on Facebook through Instagram photos while I still had internet access. We actually were really lucky. We didn’t lose power until the second day of the storm around six in the evening. That second night was really horrible. It got SO bad that I made the kids sleep in the hallway. We kept getting tornado warnings, and I was exhausted. So we all piled into the hallway so we could rest. Note: Two adults and three restless children are not meant to sleep in the hallway. I have bruises from being kicked and elbowed.

2012-08-30 Isaac Day Three

We lost a few shingles from our our roof, and the wind kept lifting the cap of the roof up and slamming it down. It was roaring and howling insanely. It would die down to complete quiet before going nuts again. I tried to distract myself with scrapbooking by candle light, but it was so humid and damp that my paper was crinkling. I ended up giving up and staring at the ceiling.


We put up with the lack of electricity for about 24 hours before giving up due to three extremely cranky children. We ended up going to my sister-in-law’s house for a sleepover because she had air conditioning. Luckily, our electricity came back on by the next day and we were able to come home for clean up.

We ended up having to throw all of our cold groceries away. They went bad. It could’ve been so much worse though, so I’m not complaining. Actually, I do have one thing to complain about… the critters that came out after the storm!!! Ronnie found this huge spider near the water hose when he was trying to reattach it. He called me out to come see. Holy moly it was huge! Bigger than a quarter. I am not kidding. I’m still shuddering just thinking about it.


Everything is pretty much back to “normal” around here. Well, as normal as we get. I’ve been working on some scrapbook pages and a few other projects. I’ll be back to share them soon.

Thank You copy


Madeline said...

OMgosh...that's a scary spider! I was pulling some branches out of our garden yesterday and wandered into a web. The spider was small but thorny looking! Eeeek!

Emily Cheney said...

OMG Heather!!! That spider is scary! Nightmare material! Sorry your power was out and the groceries went bad. :( but your new sink looks lovely!

Mitra Pratt said...

So happy things are getting back to normal. Totally thankful you were able to keep us updated as I kept you guys in my thoughts a lot! And yes, that is ONE GINORMOUS spidey!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I say Pacey! *wink*

Great photos and I am glad you are ok from the storm!!! That spider would FREAK me out!!!!!

Just Jaime said...

Glad the storm has passed! Brandon is adorable and you are a brave momma to not go out there!

Sand and Sunshine said...

Glad everything was okay, even though it was rough for a while. Honey if bigger than a quarter is bad, you don't want to see the ones that find their way into my house that are bigger than the palm of my hand. I have to take myself in hand just to kill them!!! LOL.

Sand and Sunshine said...

Oh and to cool about all the sports your big guy is up to. I understand where the coach is coming from too, though I'm certain it sucked. Better to deal with it from a team member when you know there are no hard feelings than the opposing team later without knowing what is coming (for both you and B).

Cindy Gay said...

Great perspective in the photo of Brandon at the beach.

Michelle said...

We have lost shingles from storms. I have been through more than one garage door in our current house. I ended up with new shingles and siding in our old house due to hail storms. Been there before. At least it was all minor things. That spider is really creapy!!!! Creapier than the one on my conditioner bottle!! LOL

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

eeek! a spider!