Monday, October 29, 2012

Frozen Football

The Covington 5/6 Saints played in Slidell last Saturday. When we woke up it was very cold outside. (Especially when you consider the fact that we had to be outside for several hours.) We dressed the kids as warmly as possible. Jordan wore tights and a turtleneck under her cheer uniform. I put thermals under Brandon’s uniform and they all wore jackets. I also brought a blanket for the kids to cover with when they took their breaks.

Ronnie was asked to volunteer at the game. He didn’t really mind, but he missed talking to Brandon and encouraging him from the sidelines. I was left managing Brandon and Jordan. It was hard! They are both so busy. (You know it’s cold when Ronnie’s wearing a jacket.)

IMG_2412

I snapped a photo of this motley crew before the game began. These girls all have a brother on the 5/6 Saints and they sit on the sidelines every Saturday. They are all good sports about it and they hang out with one another.

DSC_0191

I love my zoom lens so much! (Have I mentioned that in the last five minutes?) It’s a lot of fun to be able to see the action up close. Brandon really loves looking back at the photos that I take. We had a little talk about the whole face mask thing again.

IMG_2386

He blocked two kids at the same time twice in this game. He’s still a little worried about going out on the field sometimes after a hard hit, but he’s really coming into his own. He’s starting to use his size to his advantage.

IMG_2387

Jordan and her friend Bella are the only cheerleaders that haven’t given up. All of the other girls have quit coming. We’ve recruited some other girls from the sidelines when we can. It makes me a bit sad because most of the other teams have a bunch of cheerleaders.

IMG_2364

Remember what I said about hard hits? Brandon was blocking two other kids when he got slammed from behind unexpectedly by the kid that’s on top of him. It was an audible hit. I heard it from the sidelines and cringed. He got teary eyed and the coach sent him off the field to me. I gave him a big hug. I am so proud of him for playing football!

IMG_2388

I will be back soon with some scrapbook projects. I have a few digital pages completed!

Thank You copy

6 comments:

Joy said...

Ahhh that's too bad that the other cheerleaders quit going to games. Don't give up Jordan :)
You've got one tuff little dude! It must be hard to watch sometimes. You got some great photos!

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

sorry about the lack of cheerleaders. good for brandon sticking with hit even after getting knocked around.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

That is crazy about the weather!! It was 90 here today!! YIKES!! I love love love the photos... that is so sad about the cheerleaders though!!

Tamika said...

Cheerleaders worried about catching a little chill? My son wants to do the football next year and I am worried about the hard hits! I might just cry. Love your zoom lens too!

Debbie P said...

I absolutely love your photos! You always take the best photographs!

Sand and Sunshine said...

Cheerleader Dropouts, now that's a bummer. Sounds like all in all it's a good season though.