Wednesday, December 12, 2012

All Aboard The Choo Choo Train

You would think that we’d have taken it easy last Saturday after our very busy Friday. Nope! We got up early so I could teach a training class to volunteers at our church. I took Alexis with me and she helped me teach rad dance moves to our Sunday school teachers. While we were doing that, Ronnie dressed Brandon and Jordan for the Breakfast With Santa party that started at 10:00. Alexis and I got there at 10:30, just in time for some yummy breakfast and a fab photo op with Santa.

Jordan stayed cheerful while we waited to see Santa. It was pretty easy to be happy because she had a tummy full of sausage. It’s her favorite breakfast food. She’d eat a half a pound of it if I would let her.

IMG_4620

They had a dance floor so the kids could boogie. Jordan decided it would be a lot of fun to break dance. She even convinced some of the other children to join in. I swear, that child is the life of every party!

IMG_4636

We went home and Ronnie jumped right in to setting up the Christmas lights on the outside of the house. The lights weren’t cooperative at all. There may have been some cussing and fussing. I retreated into the house after I did my part of the decorating. The neighbor offered me a ladder to help but I’m afraid of heights so that was a HUGE no go.

IMG_4672

This is what I found when I went inside. Mr. Wii addict himself playing what else? Wii! He’s beat the entire Super Mario game himself at FIVE YEARS old. He’s ridiculously smart. In fact, we’re having him tested for gifted in school because he’s been a little bored in class.

IMG_4676

I got a slew of packages in the mail on Saturday. My 50mm lens was in there! I’ve wanted a 50mm lens since I got my camera. I’ve always been fascinated by the pretty bokeh you can create with it. I tried my hand at it that night and I don’t think this photo is bad at all for a first try. Alexis is my most willing model. I can’t believe she’ll be eleven in a little more than a week.

_MG_4813

We decorated our gingerbread house Sunday night. I found a super cute train and house kit at Sam’s. It was really easy to assemble and we let the kids decorate it once it was dry enough to stay standing. Jordan is always really focused on getting things just right.

IMG_4724

Brandon is usually just focused on eating the candy before we can get it on the house. I asked him how many pieces he’d eaten and he held up three fingers. I’m thinking it was closer to 30 pieces. Don’t worry, he brushed his teeth before bed.

IMG_4735

He may have put at least a few pieces of candy on the gingerbread house. His mouth doesn’t look full in this photo. He’s wearing the Star Wars jammies that my friend Lisa sent to him and the shirt that my friend Stephanie embroidered for him. Eclectic fashion choices… I like it!

IMG_4761

This is the finished project. As you can see, the kids had a blast decorating it. I was confused by the fact that the train was bigger than the house. We used powdered sugar as snow. That was a mistake people. Let me tell you… it gets EVERYWHERE!

IMG_4770

It’s a tradition that once we assemble the house and take a photo, the kids get to eat it. They like hard gingerbread I suppose. You couldn’t pay me to eat it with all of that junk caked on it.

IMG_4784

Gotta love icing filled faces! I don’t know what’s yummier… icing or my new 50mm lens. It’s become my everyday lens. I’m a big fan of natural light and I hate using my flash so it’s right up my alley.

Thank You copy

8 comments:

Doreen Vasquez said...

Great pictures!!
I have never had my kids decorate a Gingerbread house... I know, I know...very bad mom! ::sigh::
But this year I plan on doing so!
And now I know, thanks to you, no powdered sugar!

Cindy deRosier said...

Such great pics!

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

super cute photos. sounds like quite the day...remind me to tell you about this light hanger thingy phil found at lowes...no more ladders

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I love all the photos!!! LOVING the gingerbread photos!! Toooooooooooo fun!!!

A said...

You're all Chrismassed up Heather!

Cindy Gay said...

You did a great job with the new lens and the gingerbread house. Love Brandon squatting on the table!

S said...

Oh I've enjoyed these last two posts full of pictures - you'll have some fun scrapping in your future.

Tracey Sabella said...

What a "Sweet" tradition!! Looks like they had blast (not to mention sugar high - lol). ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/