Friday, January 25, 2013

To Infinity And Beyond!

I chaperoned Jordan’s field trip to NASA’s Stennis Space Center today. It was an absolutely beautiful day! Of course, I arrived 45 minutes early because I wasn’t quite sure where to go. I found it after a little bit of driving around.

_MG_7389

We all were treated to a driving tour of the Stennis grounds and it was really neat to see the stands where they test the engines for rockets. People watching the engine tests have to watch from over two miles away because if they were any closer their eardrums would rupture. Now that’s loud!

_MG_7410

Navy SEALS practice maneuvers in the canal on the Stennis Space Center property. There’s a lock system that provides lots of room for them to move around. Too cool!

_MG_7419

We got to see astronaut food in the Infinity Museum. It didn’t look very appetizing. You’re looking at spaghetti and meatballs on the right and the silver packet contains coffee and sugar. I definitely didn’t want it for my lunch.

_MG_7476

This rocket is so huge that it almost touched the roof. Look at the people in the background to get an idea of the scale. Jordan was quite impressed!

_MG_7485

We all ate lunch outside after we were finished exploring the museum. Jordan posed for a photo before it was time to leave. She ate her lunch and my lunch while we visited with her special education teacher.

_MG_7502

Here she is getting back on the bus. She wasn’t a very happy camper at all. She wanted to come home with me, but they don’t let you check the kids out from a field trip. You have to go to the school to do it, and there was a spirit rally scheduled for the 100th day of school that I didn’t want her to miss.

_MG_7504

After the buses left, I headed home. I managed to get thoroughly lost and I ended up about 30 minutes out of my way before I got back on the right road. It was a stupid mistake and I ended up calling Ronnie to set me straight. He thought it was funny that I had a serious blonde moment. Oh well, it happens to the best of us! All’s well that ends well because I made it home safely.

Thank You copy

6 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

How fun!!!! I was there as a kid!! I loveeeeeeeee the photos!!!

Linda Jordan said...

Looks like fun!! You always get to go on all the fieldtrips, that's so great...I hope I will have the chance to do that when I have kids in school!

Doreen Vasquez said...

Looks like it was a fun and informative field trip!
SOrry you got lost! I get lost easily too that's why I never leave home without my GPS if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar; it's a definite 'life-saver'!

Cindy deRosier said...

I love field trips! That place looks really fun. We went to our local space museum (Chabot) yesterday for Steve's birthday. I have to say, as unappetizing as that spaghetti looks, Chabot had some food from Russian cosmonauts on display that looked far worse. Scary stuff!

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

looks like a fun trip...but i wouldn't want to go back to school either. lol

Tamika said...

That looked like a really fun trip! Nice photos!!