Thursday, April 18, 2013

BIG Changes

I've been reevaluating a lot of things that are going on in my life lately and I've come to realize that my priorities need to change drastically. I've made some really big decisions and I'm slowly working on implementing changes. I wanted to talk about what's going on here on my blog. Frankly, I'm missing the fact that my blog used to be more personal with lots of fun stories about my kids. I'm hoping to get back into that habit.

A few of you have noticed that I haven't been online as much. Don't worry! I'm not going to stop giving away freebies and I'm not planning to quit scrapbooking either. I will be stepping down from the rest of my design teams over the next few months. April is my last month with Hydrangea Hippo and June will be my last for The Sampler kit club. I also won't be submitting to magazines for a while. (I have layouts coming out up until September in Scrapbook Trends.) Why am I making all of these changes?

 I know that I've already mentioned here that I've decided to homeschool my two younger children. (Alexis is not interested in being homeschooled at this time.) I haven't really talked about why we made that decision. Jordan has been picked on incessantly over the last two years. Several different children have made fun of her repeatedly for her disability. We kept going through the proper channels for help and the school addressed the issues. The only issue with that? It seems like there's always another bully to take the place of the reprimanded child. We discussed homeschooling, but we didn't make the final decision until the bullying got physical. Jordan was assaulted on the playground and she ended up with abrasions along the entire length of her spine.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back. She is finishing third grade under intensive supervision at school and we are beginning homeschool in the Fall. I don't understand why there are so many children that feel it's okay to bully a special needs child. I do know that I don't want my brilliant child feeling like she has over the past few months. When your eight year old comes home with a paper she wrote about "not being normal" and "being a loser" something has to change. 

My decision to homeschool is the first reason for the many changes I'm going through. The second reason is that scrapbooking used to be fun for me, but it's become a chore with many deadlines and obligations. I have met so many amazing women through my design teams and I've made fantastic friends! I would never say that working on a design team is a bad thing or something I regret. It's not at all. I'm just entering another stage of my life where I need to concentrate more on my children and home life. I have been blessed to work for so many fabulous companies over the years and I've been incredibly lucky that everyone has understood my decision to step down. 

I hope you all hang around during the upheaval. Like I said, I'll still be posting freebies and the MMD Divas will still be here. I won't stop scrapbooking and I'll continue to share the pages here. Who knows? Maybe I'll even get to use some of this HUGE stash I've accumulated over the years? I just feel like God is guiding my life in a huge new direction. I'm putting my trust in him and stepping out on faith. 

13 comments:

Ashley Horton said...

Sorry to hear the bad things that have been happening at school Heather, but you will love homeschooling!! It can be challenging, but definitely worth it. And I think after you've started, you will find a groove to mix all of that in and still keep creating too!!

Chrissy (thescrapgirl) said...

God Bless you! I think it is great that you have your priorities in line! Many prayers to you all!

Buffy Esser said...

I am sorry to hear about all the trouble with your daughter being bullied at school,that seems to be a big issue as of late...I think homeschooling is a wonderful idea,my best friend home schooled her three boys for several year before she put them back into the local school system...they truly enjoyed home school!

Tricky Nag said...

Anytime I hear of a woman putting her kids first even though it impacts her life, my heart swells a little. Sometimes what is the right thing to do is not the easy thing to do. And good for you doing what's right for your family. Good luck!

Courtney said...

I am sorry to hear that she is being bullied. I am teaching special needs students right now and it breaks my heart how cruel even young children can be. Prayers are with you and your family as you make these changes.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So sorry to hear that she has gone through that at school... breaks my heart when kids are being bullied ... Brookie has been poked fun of every time she has a surgery ... but it's by the ADULTS!! What is wrong with people???? UGH!!! I hope all goes well with the home schooling .... {{{hugs}}}

Lauralee said...

Your post has touched me deeply. I am shedding tears for your little one. Your decision is the right one,
I experienced the same with my child... only I pressed charges... the other child had some counseling and community service. Assault is assault period! .... just a thought.

Debbie P said...

Oh my heart breaks for your little one and the bullying she has endured. I think you are making the right decision. If I had the patience, I think I would do that too with at least our oldest granddaughter. She is a unique child and just doesn't fit in like the other two. I hear you with the deadlines, etc. Your smart to step back for now before you do despise scrapbooking. Good luck. I'm sure everything will work out for the best!

Cindy Gay said...

Heather you are a great Mom and will be a great teacher. I'm with you on the design teams.........you'll be happier not being "assigned".

Rita Barakat said...

Good for you Heather! I home schooled for years, it was hard at first but once I got into a groove I loved it! There are many home schooling groups that can provide tons of resources- field trips etc. I am sorry about the bullying- we have had similar experiences(second round of kids are still in public school). I don't understand why it is so prevalent these days! We have considered homeschooling this group too, I know it's just a matter of time. Hang in there! You are going to be an awesome teacher!

Cindy deRosier said...

Good for you for keeping your priorities in order and doing what's best for you and the kids. Good luck as you enter this new chapter!

Cindy - FL said...

Heather,
I have a son who was born with Down Syndrome. He's now 33, soon to be 34, years old. People have poked fun of him for his entire life over somthing he has no control over. It just makes my blood boil! In all honesty, it's not so much the kids fault as it is their parents; they're just not taught how to act and they have no examples to follow. It's just sad that so many people have no compassion......maybe it's fear, but if people KNEW my son, they'd learn he would be a wonderful friend, so it's really THEIR loss. Best of luck to you.

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

you have to do what is right for your family. gonna miss ya.