Sunday, July 28, 2013

Turtles, Alpacas, and Swimming Pools, Oh my!

We had amazing, weird, and very amusing experiences last week! So welcome to my weekly photo update post... Let's jump right in. 

We came home from church last weekend and I saw a big brown bump on the front porch. Alexis yelled, "Mom, Look at the turtle!" It was sitting next to a concrete turtle that Jordan made as an art project. Jordan said it was in loooooove. (You really can't make this stuff up.) 

Brandon decided that he should be named Donatello after the smart Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. He declared that he must be the smart one because he found his way to our front door. In a not so smart move, I decided to let the kids keep him.


Unfortunately, we couldn't get Donatello to eat. Let me tell you, we certainly tried! We fed him lettuce, strawberries, minnows, and earthworms. Nothing doing! We let him go in the ditch in our front yard after explaining his departure to the kids. It was rough because they were already attached to him. 

The girls in our family were baptized last Sunday and it was amazing! Here we are in our matching baptism tee shirts from Church Of The King. I thought for years that I'd already been baptized when I was little, but my Mom said I wasn't. I had to remedy that! 


The girls were very excited after the baptism class. They were SO ready to declare their belief in Jesus and the gospel. I had to speak in front of a crowd of about 200 people at the baptism. I said, "God has moved mountains in our lives recently and I am so grateful!" We were baptized at the same time. I'm on the left, Alexis is near the ladder, and Jordan is right behind her. It was a wonderful experience and I'm so thankful that we were able to do it together. 


Speaking of water, we've been very scientific at our house over the last week. The kids have been learning about evaporation and we were able to use washi tape to mark the water level. We combined two of my favorite things. (Science and scrapbook supplies. Whoo hoo!)


Washi tape works for everything! It took a lot longer than I thought it would for the water to evaporate. Especially because it's been so insanely hot here!


Alexis was in charge of taking the glass and placing it in a spot where the sun would hit it in the morning. 


In other news, I'm up for the Mom of the year award. (If I do say so myself!) Brandon has been really bummed that his poor Cabbage Patch doll only had one outfit. He's been asking for pajamas for John for a while. I haven't been able to find any online, and Brandon had a few special requests. 

I found some older Cars fabric and traced around the clothes his doll already had. Then I added space for seams and sewed a pair of pajamas. I didn't have enough matching fabric for a shirt, so I used an old t-shirt and iron on letters. Tada! Cars 2 Cabbage Patch pajamas. Winning!


What did Brandon think? I'm glad you asked. In this case, a picture really is worth 1,000 words! He's still hugging me days later and saying thank you. I'm worried he's going to wear the Velcro out because he keeps changing his clothes. Such happiness over a little thing...


We paid a visit to a different library on Wednesday and I'm so glad that we did. The bookshelves there were SO cool! Each level could spin around independently of the others. The kids were totally impressed!


Want to see something even neater? The shelves were built into the windows and it gave the library a very futuristic look. All in all, it was a totally awesome experience. 


I lost my mind after we left the library. I decided to stop at the Dollar Tree with the kids. If no one has ever told  you, it's a really bad idea to let your kids shop there. I gave them each $2.00 and you would've thought it was the best thing in the world. It took them an HOUR to pick something out. Never again people! 


Alexis found the perfect hula hoop, then she put it back. They she picked it up again, then she put it back. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Argh! 


Jordan had therapy on Thursday and we stopped at 2nd & Charles on the way home. It was my first time going in and Jordan was extremely impressed with their book wall. I couldn't believe the amount of books and the prices were great. Jordan got American Girl books for $2.00 each. They didn't have the National Geographic magazines that I needed. We'll have to keep looking! 


Ronnie had the day off on Friday so we decided to torture him by bringing him to an art class at the Castine Center. It was a wet felting class and we got to make beads out of alpaca hair. Our instructor had custom dyed the hair and it was really pretty. Jordan and Ronnie made a snake by wrapping and felting around a pipe cleaner. 


Alexis, Brandon, and I opted to make felt beads that we could string on a bracelet. Alexis' are the pink and purple beads. Brandon made the green, red, and black beads. I made the grey and blue mixed beads. I kept trying different variations in the way I rolled them and I also varied the amounts of each color. They have to dry for a few days before we can string them. I'm sure I'll post an updated photo. 


I had some scrappy time today, so you'll be seeing some new Christmas pages soon! I can't believe that the Summer is already almost over. We are gearing up for homeschool. I can't believe that after years of wanting to homeschool, I have 13 days until we start.

8 comments:

Lizzy Hill said...

My gosh! You certainly have been VERY busy...congrats on being baptised:):) And I reckon a stop at the $2 shop could be counted out as a Days Outing:):)!!!!!!

Cindy deRosier said...

Congrats on your baptisms! I love the felt beads- can't wait to see them strung. Good job with the pajamas!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Looks like you had a fun and busy week! LOVING the photos .. and tell the kids I will tell them how long H2O takes to evaporate ... I live in Phoenix ... it's so hot, we really CAN fry an egg on the sidewalk! LOL!!

carol said...

Such fun!! I have to tell you that the photo of your son with is Cabbage Patch made me tear up. So incredibly sweet! Way to go Momma!!

Debbie P said...

Love, love your photos! The turtle story is so sweet. Too bad it didn't work out. You are both such good parents. Love the doll clothes. You do rock! And congrats on your family baptism. That is so awesome! tfs

Cindy Gay said...

Brandon's picture is worth a thousand words, through the one of you and the girls with your baptism shirt also speaks volumes. Great job Mom of the Year!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Lovely photos! I love the cabbage patch outfit you made - it looks so great and the photo of your son hugging the doll was adorable! I am impressed at the bookshelves at the library - how cool is that!!!!! :D

Courtney said...

You guys have been keeping busy. Congratulations on your baptism.