Monday, September 2, 2013

Better Late Than Never: iPhonography Photo Round Up

I know I'm a few days late posting my weekly photo update, but it's been crazy here. I'm not complaining. It's a good, positive busy for the most part. We're still really enjoying homeschool. I can't believe how much we accomplish in a week. I've figured out that Brandon's pretty much light-years ahead of the curriculum I purchased, so I'm supplementing his days with a lot of extra material. He works along with almost everything Jordan does and completes his own work as well. I'm not sure yet, but he might skip a grade next year so he's a little more challenged. 


We've added a new class to our homeschool schedule. Home Economics has come into play since I can't stand how messy the house becomes when I don't have help. Luckily, Brandon and Jordan seem to enjoy cleaning with me. I know that it won't last long, but I'm enjoying it while I can.


In the photo below, Jordan was reading aloud to Brandon while I loaded the dishwasher. I turned around to see him leaning back in my chair with a mischievous smile on his face. He's such a character! I love how Jordan's totally ignoring him. Brothers. Sigh. 


Brandon had an assignment to sort items last week. The book we're using suggested money but I wanted to make it a little more difficult, so I dumped a bunch of beads on the table. He had them sorted in two different ways within five minutes. Organizing and sorting is right up his alley. I guess he gets that from his Momma.


This is a photo of the aftermath of our typical homeschool day. I sit on the end to teach and they sit on either side of me. We put the books we've finished at the other end of the table so I can put them away before dinner. (We usually eat lunch outside to avoid having to pack everything out of the way.)


Jordan had therapy on Thursday and she was determined to feed the geese at her therapists' office. There's only one problem with that... She's desperately afraid of geese. She kept throwing bread at them and shrieking, "Don't eat me!" "Eat the bread!" Everything was okay until a goose honked at her. She immediately climbed me like I was a ladder and ordered me to take her inside. 


The evil, scary, honking geese. They look diabolical don't they?


Thursday was also Dozen Day. Brandon's curriculum includes a "number of the day" Math chart, and it was the 12th day on the chart. We learned about dozens of eggs and we were instructed to bake a dozen cupcakes. I got really brave and decided to let Brandon do everything on his own. (After I appointed Ronnie as a supervisor.) 


I expected a huge mess, but he kept all of the batter on the pan. He took it all very, very seriously. Brandon actually enjoys cooking. He often climbs on the cabinet while I make dinner to chat and help where he can.


One thing I'm not doing very well with is the tree identification portion of the curriculum. I'm still looking for a reliable Louisiana nature guide. Mostly because I still can't identify this tree that's growing in our backyard. 


Miss J has learned all of her multiplication tables over the past four weeks, so we rewarded her with a unicorn Dream Light. Math is her least favorite subject and we frequently hear "I can't do it.". Recently, she has gained a lot of confidence and we are very proud of what she's accomplished. 


Art isn't her favorite subject either. Jordan struggles with writing and fine motor difficulty, so the smallest projects are frustrating unless she's really interested. A few weeks ago, her music therapist recommended that she create her own Skylander figure by combining two existing Skylanders. She loved that assignment and spent a good amount of time making sure everything was perfect.


My favorite part of homeschool IS Art. Mostly because I get to paint and play while they create. It's more about hanging out and being together than right or wrong. In fact, I believe that there are no mistakes in artistic endeavors. Mistakes are opportunities for embellishment!


In other news, my kids are easily entertained. We got up early on Saturday so we could get our errands and chores out of the way. Ronnie decided to run the van through the car wash and I knew to get my iPhone out of my bag. 


My kids adore the car wash. They smile like crazy and shriek. Seriously, it's right up there with Disney World. If you want to make Brandon's day... take him through the car wash. Of course, I love to watch their reactions. Maybe I'm easily entertained too?


After our errands, we met Ronnie's parents for lunch. We all stopped at Sam's before heading back to our house. We picked up the necessities. You know... batteries, Band-aids, and stuffed animals. I'm not responsible for the last thing on that list. Ronnie's sister spoils my kids rotten!  


Just so you know, I'm not the only one who was taking photos in the store! So there.


Everyone came back to our house. Ronnie's Dad fell asleep on the couch. Brandon showed Uncle Brian how to play Skylanders, and the girls played Barbies with Ronnie's sister. It was good to spend some quality time with them.


We went to church Saturday night and when we got home I was exhausted. I fell asleep early instead of scrapbooking like I'd meant to. I made up for it on Sunday though because I took a much needed day off from housework. I decided to scrapbook most of the day because I missed it so much. I managed to finish three pages and they'll be popping up on my blog over the next few days.

7 comments:

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Great pics! iphones take such great photos!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You have been busy!! LOVING all the photos ... especially the ones of Brandon making cupcakes!! That's AWESOME!!!

nancy keithley said...

Love your blog - had a suggestion for you. I live in your neighboring very large state - Texas (it's a whole other country!). When a question about plants or animals I see, I snap a picture and send it to my county extension agent. I know La. doesn't have those, per se, but you DO have http://www.lsuagcenter.com/ and this would be a GREAT homeschool extension activity for the kids to make contact, ask about the tree (and I'll bet you can think of a jillion other things, too!).....

Hope that helps with IDing your tree!!!!

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm really enjoying reading about your homeschool experience! It'll be fascinating to see how the rest of the year evolves and what decisions you make for next year.

I love the story about Jordan and the geese too. I didn't use to be afraid of geese, but I got bit badly a few years ago (at a B&B celebrating our anniversary) and now I'm definitely scared! I was just standing there, my back to the geese, like 15 yards away, and one came charging at my and took a chunk out of my leg. Darn geese!

Debbie P said...

I just love your stories and photos! I use to love going through the car wash as well. I laughed out loud at the story of the diabolical geese! My ex daughter in law is thinking about homeschooling our grandson. Is there any better curriculum than others? To be honest, I'm not sure if she's quite ready for this, she has two other little ones to take care of, but if she decides to do it, I will help her out when I can. Have a great week! tfs

Cindy Gay said...

Like Brandon with his feet on the table! "Be Strong" And a very pretty dimple. Also Ronnie making cupcakes.

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

pics and stories are just so fun...those are super spoiled children.