Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Photo Update: Two Weeks In Numbers

I haven't shared any photos of what we've been doing over the past few weeks because I've been too busy. It's hard to find a spare minute for blogging since we pulled Alexis from public school and she joined the other two kids in homeschool. 

We decided to pull her after the school chose to place her in regular education classes when her IEP said she belonged in special education. They were also pulling many of her accommodations. I'm aware that it's illegal for them to do that, but we were so tired of fighting. I've been fighting the school on her behalf for 7 years now, and it never seemed like we got anywhere. We were worried that she would be upset that we were dropping her from public school, but I sat down with her the night before and we talked about it. To my surprise, she jumped on the chance to be homeschooled. The transition was much easier because we had her willing participation. I think she was more stressed than she let on, and I am very proud to say that the last three weeks have been amazing! She's so much happier and is thriving in homeschool.

Anyway, the photo update is pretty epic since it's been two weeks. I've decided that the best way to do it is in number form. So here goes...

ONE happy child in the park on the first day of autumn. It was a lovely, cooler morning and we couldn't resist venturing out to play.


FIFTEEN homemade tortillas I made while we were studying Mexico in homeschool. They were good, but I thought they tasted more like extremely thin biscuits. 


THREE spelling words that were misspelled resulted in ONE epic tantrum. At this rate, I'm not sure any spelling program will work for my resident perfectionist.


THREE carvings that we made out of Ivory soap while we were studying the Inuit Indians. Brandon and I made a polar bear, Alexis' is a moose, and Jordan's is a cat. She was mad that the ear fell off, so we ended up with more "angry art". 


ONE lazy morning in bed where THREE kids read aloud to each other. I don't really care where they do their homeschool as long as it gets done.


THREE of my kids at our local library story time where Ms. Sarah read TWO books and they did ONE craft. The librarians there made it very clear that my homeschoolers were welcome at any program they wanted to attend.


ONE naughty child that was up until midnight last week. I ended up begging her to go to sleep, and I put her in my bed so she wouldn't wake anyone else up. She definitely doesn't look sleepy in this photo.


TWO lopsided circles that I drew on my abstract art project example. I'm on a gray kick lately. Every art and scrapbook project in the past few weeks contains a shade of gray.


ONE abstract art project that Brandon made into a butterfly. He doesn't like abstract art. "But Momma... it doesn't look like anything!"


Jordan spent ONE Saturday morning cleaning FOUR hooves before her riding lesson. (You know you love horses when you look forward to scraping hooves and shoveling manure.)


ONE new friend Jordan made at New Heights. Jordan wanted to bring her home with us, but I'm not sure her Mom would've gone for that.


EIGHT tomatoes, ONE onion, and ONE jalapeno made some excellent homemade salsa. The kids ate it with a spoon and left the chips out of the equation. 


TWO girls working hard on copy work during day THIRTY-FIVE of homeschool. They've been doing an excellent job working together when they have to share a book.


ONE photocopy that I got in the mail from my grandma. This piece of paper made my THREE kids laugh hysterically because they couldn't believe that I drew it when I was TEN. Yes, heathens. I was a kid too. A long, long time ago.


I'll be back later this week to share the football/cheer mini-album that I finished recently!

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving the photos!! So happy that she is doing well with homeschooling now too!!!!

Debbie P said...

What an awesome mix of fun photos! Love them! So glad to hear homeschooling is going so well! That is fabulous!

Cindy deRosier said...

A very busy two weeks indeed! Glad homeschooling is going so well.

Doreen Vasquez said...

Such a fun set of pictures to look at! Everyone looks so happy and well-adjusted to their "new school". Even Jordan's "tantrum picture" looks happy! LOL!

Pam said...

Love the photos ! Especially that last one !

Nancy Keslin aka Homesclscrapper said...

so glad that things are going well for all of you at home. photos are of course fabulous.

Amanda Sevall said...

I'm so glad homeschooling is working so well for your kids Heather!! They are the cutest and I love seeing all the photos whenever I pop onto FB or instagram! :)