Friday, July 25, 2014

Pre-Op Jitters x 2

The big surgery day is almost here, and Jordan is really nervous about it. She's stated that she is not anxious about the procedure. She's upset because she doesn't want to spend the night in the hospital. Brandon isn't going to fare any better because they are "talking buddies". At night, they talk to each other in their room until they fall asleep. They're going to be lonely. I'm a bit worried about how Brandon will react, especially since I won't be able to comfort him. I've already warned my Mom that she may have her hands full. 

Jordan's surgeon asked her if she'd like to meet with someone from the Child Life team so they could discuss her concerns, and I'm so glad he did. She felt a lot better after we left, and seems to even be looking forward to the surgery now. I think it may have something to do with them promising her ice cream?


I've had a few people ask me why Miss J is having the surgery. Basically, her femurs have been pulled out of alignment by the tightness of her muscles. Her muscles are much too tight because her cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy is caused by brain damage, and her brain sends the wrong signals to her muscles. The best way I can describe it is that she walks around with perpetual leg cramps that encompass both legs. Like a charley horse, but in every single leg muscle on both sides... all the time! You can read more about cerebral palsy here.

She volunteered to make a video of the way she walks now so I could share it with everyone. Right now, both of her feet turn in so much that she almost steps on her own toes when she walks.



She's very excited to make a follow up after video a few months from now to show how far she's come. We are anticipating a quick recovery because our girl is determined and spirited. She's going to do wonderfully! Please join us in praying that everything goes well so she can get back to being her normal busy self.

We have received quite a few cards in the mail, and I just know she's going to be SO excited when she gets to open them. Thank you all so very much for taking the time to make my sweetheart happy! If you want to send a card... There's still time, and I know she'd appreciate it. You can email me at miraclesmommah(AT)gmail(DOT)com for her address.

5 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

I can't imagine having to go through this at 10 (or ever). Such a brave, strong girl! I'm glad she's feeling ok about the procedure. I literally cannot wait to see the 'after' video. I don't even know her, but it's going to bring tears to my eyes, I just know it.

Alison said...

GREAT idea! I sometimes wish it were possible to scrapbook videos! Lol

Sharon Fritchman said...

Sending hugs to Jordan and all of you, Heather. And we are all saying prayers for a speedy recovery for her, too. My heart goes out to you and I just know everything will be OK in God's hands. HUGS!!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Just getting back from vacay and catching up on this .... sending lots and lots and lots of HUGS and PRAYERS to Jordan and your family (especially Brandon ... I remember how close you have said they are!) :)

Nancy Keslin said...

sorry I am just leaving comments...you know how i feel...hugs and prayers. glad she is doing so well.