Sunday, November 16, 2014

Blessed Beyond Measure

It's been a while since I've posted a photo update, so here goes. It seems as my kids have gotten older, they've gotten much busier. (Is it like that for everyone?) We really enjoyed Miracle League baseball. Ronnie has coached three different sports this year while Alexis and I volunteered. Brandon and Jordan had a wonderful time playing too!


We got some truly incredible news at the end of October. We found out that Miss Jordan had been chosen as a grant recipient by Access, and she had to go to Boo Fest to accept. Ronnie and I have been trying to find a way to afford to have our van modified for her wheelchair for years, but the cost has been prohibitive. They decided to fund her conversion completely, and we were floored. Ronnie called me with the good news while I was at the dentist, and the dentist said it was the first time anyone ever cried happy tears in her chair. 


We had a complete blast at Boo Fest because everything is accessible for kids with disabilities. They even had a ramp built so wheelchairs could be rolled up on the stage. They thought of everything! The best part according to the girls... Anna and Elsa were there. 


Brandon was not impressed with Anna and Elsa at all, and I wasn't surprised. Throughout his life, we've noticed some behaviors that made us think that he might have autism. We brought him to Children's Hospital in the beginning of October, and the doctor recently called me back to confirm our suspicions. He has ASD Level 1, also known as Aspergers. We did get some good news at the same time. (My life's a lot like a roller coaster lately.) They gave him an IQ test and he is gifted as well. I always knew he was smart, but this explains his insane Math skills.


So we now officially have three special needs kids... I have to say that I wasn't surprised by the news, as I've been telling his pediatrician that he has autism for years. His diagnosis will help him get services that he's needed for a long time. 

Halloween was wonderful but slightly chilly this year. I didn't take as many photos as I usually do because it was cold and the kids didn't want to stand still for long. Alexis was Tiana, Jordan was Sofia the First, and Brandon was a police officer. He said someone had to keep all of us in line! 


Brandon and Alexis have been attending a parent led social skills group for a few months, and last week we had a party to celebrate their accomplishments and good behavior. I asked Brandon to put his arm around Alexis to pose for a photo, and this is what I got. While it's not the posed photo I planned, it captures their personalities very well. 


Winter has come early to Louisiana! I sent the kids out to play and they kept coming back in for more clothes until they looked like this. I had to get a photo so I could send it to a friend in Wisconsin. They still wear shorts when it's in the 50's while people down here are looking for gloves. 


My van was shipped off to be converted over a week ago, so we have been driving Ronnie to work when we need to use his car. It's such a big difference. The kids fight like cats and dogs because they can all touch each other in the back seat. The sacrifice will be worth it though. I can make it! (I hope.)


One of the pluses of driving Ronnie to work is that we pass by my grandparents' house on the way there and back. It gives us plenty of time to stop so we can visit. My grandma has been sifting through some rubble from a house that burned down on their property. She's trying to get rid of all of the glass and nails. My kids thought it was awesome, and treated it like an archaeological dig. Jordan kept looking for artifacts and only finding "rubbish". 


My grandparents also recommended that we stop by Lock 1 in Pearl River, Louisiana so the kids could see the lock. They were completely fascinated, and to tell the truth I thought it was pretty cool as well. It was definitely difficult to take a photo through the fence and barbed wire, but I managed.

The kids were disappointed that they couldn't get closer, but the government saw them coming and put up lots of fencing. They were all curious about everything, so we came home and looked online for videos about dams and locks. It was a neat experience.


Now we are gearing up to attend my brother's wedding, and Thanksgiving is coming up soon but I'm sure I'll be back with another update before you know it! I hope you all have a wonderfully happy holiday season.

8 comments:

Cindy Gay said...

Great pictures (love the b & w too). Your family is blessed. You're the best!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Awww Heather! I can truly see that you are blessed beyond measure! These are such wonderful photos and I want to thank you for sharing them with all of us!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving all the photos!! YAY for the van conversion!!!!!!! And glad they have Brandon diagnosed correctly!! Good news all around!!!!

Joy said...

I've been so busy for the last 3 years (I'm a grandmother now and I've also quit my job so I can work on my master's and I'm my mother's caretaker) I haven't been able to keep up with your blog, but I've saved every email to a special folder. Today I decided to go through a few posts in the folder and am so happy to see things seem to be pretty good today! Brandon has gotten so grown up and the girls are such lovely young ladies.
Glad to see you keep on keepin' on, hang in there precious Momma!

Cindy deRosier said...

I love your photo updates. So thankful that life is good in the Landry house.

nylene said...

Your blog is so sweet. I'm thrilled for you about the van. What a blessing. Best wishes to all of you!

Micupoftea said...

Nice candid photos! So happy for you and your family regarding the van conversion- hurrah! You are a wonderful parent. Happy Thanksgiving :)

Nancy Keslin said...

so many great photos. hard to believe how much has been going on....haven't talked to you in forever.